Train from Lugano to Milano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2011 at 8:28:01 #804222

Is the half-fare (1-month) and STS Family card valid for the above trip? I’ve checked the sbb website and the cost is 53 and 74 CHF for 2nd class and 1st class (one-way) respectively. Is this correct?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 April 2011 at 15:27:30 #832586

The Swiss Half Fare Card and the STS Family Card are not valid for the Italian leg of the trip, but only for the Swiss leg (that is, Lugano-Chiasso). Please review the map we link to at the Swiss Half Fare Card page (under the header ‘Features’) for an exact overview of the validity network.

I found somewhat different costs, but these may depend on the exact connection you choose. The quickest and easiest connection I found (a direct connection without changes by EuroCity, taking about 1h00) costs CHF 21.00 per person for 2nd class, including the 50% discount for the Swiss leg. If you want to take the 50% discount for Switzerland into account when checking prices, you should select the option ‘Half-fare travelcard’ under the header ‘Reduction for’ during step 2 of the process.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2011 at 20:03:12 #832587

Arno, thks. If I buy the return ticket from Milan (meaning I do not buy the return ticket from Lugano), am I still entitled to the 50% discount on the Swiss leg of the trip? Ie, ticketing is done at Milan.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 April 2011 at 14:30:31 #832588

Hi tyongchi. I’m not sure if the Italian railways in Milan can provide such a ticket. You can ask them if you want to know for sure. An alternative is to buy your return ticket, with the return date printed on it, in advance in Lugano. The Swiss railways can calculate the 50% discount for the Swiss leg in any case.

• The thread ‘Train from Lugano to Milano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.