Train Lucerne to Grindelwald with a 2 year old

• Nawal_hafeez
    Participant
    2 posts
    13 June 2022 at 11:48:43 #827489

Hello everyone,

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old, are planning to visit Switzerland for 6 days during the first week of August. We will be staying 3 nights in Lucerne and then will proceed to Grindelwald where we plan on spending 2 nights before we leave for Zurich. I know that the train ride from Lucerne to Grindlewald would have a stop at Interlaken and so I have been thinking to leave Lucerne early, get down at Interlaken, spend sometime exploring the city and its attractions and then proceed to Grindelwald to rest for the night. My questions are;

1) Do you think it will be a good idea to get down at Interlaken and explore a bit before we go to Grindelwald, keeping in mind that we would have a 2 year old in a stroller and also two hand-carry trolley bags with us.

2) If you think that its not a bad idea to step out and explore Interlaken for a bit, what would you suggest we do that would not be too tiring with a kid. Also, are there any places in Interlaken station where we could perhaps store our luggage in for a few hours?

A few things that I have thought was that we could probably explore/walk around Interlaken, Visit Harder Kulm, and take a boat trip to either Lake Thun or Lake Breinz. I would be happy to hear all your suggestions.

Thank you in advance to all those who took out time in answering my questions and helping me out.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    13 June 2022 at 17:02:08 #943194

Hi Nawal hafeez,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

1. Yes, I think it’s a great idea to do a a quick stop in Interlaken Ost on your way to Grindelwald from Lucerne. You can deposit your luggage at the train station while you explore the city. There is a left baggage service as well as luggage lockers of various size to store your trolley bags. You can find more information about travelling with luggage on trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage
    2. Harder Kulm is a good option for a quick sightseeing trip in Interlaken Ost. The funicular station is located within walking distance from the train station. The view at the top is quite scenic. There is also a restaurant and a playground to keep your child entertained. If you have time, you can certainly add a boat trip on Lake Brienz into your itinerary. For more details on how to plan this, have a look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz

Hope this gets you going.

Regards,

Anna

Nawal_hafeez
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 June 2022 at 10:14:53 #943195

Dear Anna,

This is so helpful! Thank you so much for your reply.

• The thread ‘Train Lucerne to Grindelwald with a 2 year old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.