Train or Car from Zurich to Gimmelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2015 at 4:46:52 #807444

Myself, my husband and my adult child will be visiting Gimmelwald this upcoming fall. We are planning to drive from Zurich to Gimmelwald and spend two days hiking the mountains, and then from there to go to Austria. I’m wondering if it is worthwhile to rent a car, or if it would be a better option to take the train (since I already have to purchase some of the lift passes for the mountain). Also, can you take a car all the way to Gimmelwald and park there, or do you have to park at Interlaken?Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 June 2015 at 0:11:38 #843946

<<“Also, can you take a car all the way to Gimmelwald and park there,”>>

Park in Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg.

Say “Hi” to all the other Rick Steves fans wandering around Gimmelwald.

I f you rent a car…fpr example, in Interlaken, to drive to Austria, watch out for “one way fees” They are sometimes disguised…

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2015 at 9:18:37 #843947

Hi Thelma, thanks for your post,

You definitely don’t need a car until after your stay in Gimmelwald. If you do rent one, you can best park it in Stechelberg and take the cable car up to the village. The car will probably stay parked there during your stay (paid) as most of the region is car free. If you need a car in Austria, you’d better rent one after Gimmelwald. As Slowpoke said, do check whether you need to rent in one country and return in another, as that can be really expensive.

For Gimmelwald, you may want to look into Swiss Half Fare Cards, or perhaps one of the regional passes to save money on cable cars.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2015 at 17:55:24 #843948

If you are in Gimmelwald and the Lauterbrunnen for only two days, the Jungfraubahnenpass is not a good option. You can check out the Swiss Half Fare Pass – I´m not sure what all it covers in the Lauterbrunnental. If you have more luggage than a backpack, the best way to Gimmelwald is the dtram from Stechelburg. The walk from Gimmelwald to Murren is very nice, as the downhill hike from Kleine Scheidig to Wengen or the one from Mannlichen to Alpiglen. If you have car, the drive from Lauterbrunnen up to Isenfluh and Suwald is interesting, but will use half a day. The view of the valley from Suwald looking south and east is also worth the trip. Have lunch in Isenfluh and a beer (oder zwei) in Suwald. ENJOY!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2015 at 4:23:05 #843949

Thank you all for the quick reply. Every information posted was helpful!!

• The thread ‘Train or Car from Zurich to Gimmelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.