Golden Pass train – 1st vs. 2nd class, views?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 17:44:49 #815151

We are ending a river cruise in Basel, sending some luggage ahead to Luzern, getting our Swiss Travel Pass and going to Lauterbrunnen via interlaken ost.

My questions: We are thinking of a first class pass. Are the advantages worth it over second class?

Do we need to reserve seats for the golden pass from Interlaken to Luzern? Which side of train is better for views?

Thanks for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 21:34:54 #881008

Hi Phyllis, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are ending a river cruise in Basel, sending some luggage ahead to Luzern, getting our Swiss Travel Pass and going to Lauterbrunnen via interlaken ost. We are thinking of a first class pass. Are the advantages worth it over second class?

If you are travelling in July or August, there might be some advantage to travelling first class in terms of less crowding. At other times of the year, second class is a perfectly comfortable travel experience.

Typically, the seat configuration in first-class carriages is two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other, whereas second-class carriages have two seats on either side of the aisle. So you have a bit more room in first-class.

With a second-class pass, you can upgrade to first class for any particular trip by buying an upgrade ticket just for that trip. You pay half the difference between the first- and second-class fares. The term for the upgrade in the major languages of Switzerland is:

• German: Klassenwechsel für eine Strecke
    • French: Surclassement pour un trajet
    • Italian: Cambio di classe per una tratta

>> Do we need to reserve seats for the golden pass from Interlaken to Luzern?

Reservations are not required, but if travelling in July or August I would reserve. You would almost certainly get seats without reserving, but possibly not window seats, or not together.

If you decide to make reservations, you can do so up to 90 days before your travel date on the following site:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:33875227676708 99::NO:::

>> Which side of train is better for views?

Sit on the right.

From Interlaken, you will first travel along scenic Lake Brienz and on to Meiringen. At Meiringen, the train changes direction, and you will then be sitting on the left, which is the best side to see the views into the valley as you travel over the Brünig Pass, then past the beautiful lakes (Lungernersee and the Sarnersee) with their mountain and meadow backdrops, and pretty lakeside villages.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 22:09:24 #881009

What do you mean by changing directions? Can the seats backs be switched? I must sit in the direction that the train is traveling due to motion sickness.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 22:36:25 #881010

>> What do you mean by changing directions?

Meiringen is a terminal (i.e. dead end) station. So when the train leaves Meiringen, what started out as being the end of the train becomes the front of the train.

If you started out seated on the right and facing forward, on leaving Meiringen (and for the rest of the trip), you will be on the left facing backward. If I remember rightly, this also happens on the Jungfraujoch route at Grindelwald Grund.

>> Can the seats backs be switched?

No.

>> I must sit in the direction that the train is traveling due to motion sickness.

If there are two of you travelling, I suggest you reserve window seats facing each other, then swap seats with each other at Meiringen.

Alpenrose

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 April 2018 at 15:20:35 #881011

Hi PhyllisWerth! Alpenrose provided excellent guidance on the Golden Pass trip. Please find more information about this journey here.

You mentioned you’ll be getting a Swiss Travel Pass. Do you plan to pick it up in Basel or Lucerne? That’s certainly an option, but in general it’s easier to get an online e-ticket before you leave. This allows you to have an electronic back-up and print extra copies in case of loss or damage.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass train – 1st vs. 2nd class, views?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.