Train reservations & coverage of Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 17:02:15 #816493

Hello all, Good day!

Our trip is pretty much set and hotels are booked too. We will be taking the Swiss Pass for 15 days. I need advice and tips on traveling within Swizterland. Here’s our itinerary.

Day 1 Geneva – Arrive in Geneva, check in hotel. Sightseeing. Overnight in

Geneva

Day 2 Geneva – Montreux – Check in hotel. Chillon Castle via boat in Lake Geneva. Lavaux Vineyards. Overnight in Montreux. Are boat trip and train trip to Lavaux Vineyards covered in STP?

Day 3 Montreux – Visit Chocolate Factory & Cheese Factory, OverNight in Montreux.

Should we make reservations for the chocolate train?

Day 4 Glacier 3000. Overnight in Montreux. Do we need reservations with STP?

Day 5 Day Trip to Zermatt & Matterhorn. Overnight in Montreux. Do we need reservations with STP?

Day 6 Montreux to Interlaken via Golden Line. Store luggage in Interlaken OST

Station. Grindelwald Excursion. Overnight in Wengen. Do we need reservations with STP?

Day 7 Jungfrau day Excursion- Kleine Scheidegg/ top of Europe. Overnight in

Wengen. Do we need reservations with STP?

Day 8 Store Luggage in Interlaken. Interlaken sightseeing, boat ride. Leave for

Lucern by afternoon. Overnight in Lucern. Do we need reservations for boat ride with STP?

Day 9 Mount Titlis. Transport Museum. Overnight in Lucern. Do we need reservations with STP?

Day 10 Water Tower, Chapel bridge, City Tour, Lake Lucern Cruise. Overnight

in Lucern. Reservation for Cruise?

Day 11 Mount Pilatus. Luge run. Cogwheel train up and down by cable car.

Overnight in Lucern. Reservations needed?

Day 12 Leave for Zurich. City tour. Overnight in Zurich.

Day 13 Rhine falls followed by trip to Bern (Maybe) Overnight in Zurich.

Day 14 Leave back to Paris.

I think I need advice on overall traveling in Swiss. Lol! Sorry for too many questions.. If I buy Swiss pass on HappyRail.com do I need to activate or validate it before the first day of use? How should I do that? For the trips, that we would need reservations for, how many days in advance should I reserve the seats? Are there any additional charges?

Thanks for all your help in advance!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 18:24:29 #887583

Hi Gayathri S,

1. You can see what routes for trains and boats are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity
    2. Yes, for reservations on the chocolate train
    3. Otherwise no reservations are needed nor usually possible (including boats). Only the scenic panoramic trains have mandatory reservations. https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train
    4. You can then reserve on the Golden Pass route from Montreux to Zweisimmen and to Interlaken: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges. The train route has 3 sections (explained here) and I would reserve between Montreux and Zweisimmen (as that is the panoramic train) as soon as you know which train departure you will take that day. Yes there is a cost to make reservations.

No activation or validation is needed on the Swiss Travel Pass no matter who you buy it from. You can see a list of online retailers including HappyRail here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 18:47:01 #887584

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. I have one follow up question. Is it cheaper to buy Swiss Pass on Happy Rain than buying in a train station after we arrive there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:28:06 #887585

Costs are always the same, give or take a few Swiss Francs due to exchange rates.

HappyRail is 4chf less on the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass for example and 1chf less on the 15 day STP. You can find pricing here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 10:35:39 #887586

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply! I’ll go ahead and buy the pass from Happy Rail.

Gayathri

• The thread ‘Train reservations & coverage of Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.