Swiss train reservations vs seat availability

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2019 at 8:06:38 #822101

Hi….As stated for Swiss Travel pass that no need to do reservations just board the train. If the train is full (no vacany to seat) do we have standing option or we have to wait for next train?
    How is the experience to Mt titlis and Jungfraujoch from Zurich?

Thanks
    Ashish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2019 at 10:56:47 #914456

Yes you can board the train and if you can’t find a seat you can stand. Don’t worry though you would be very unlucky to find yourself in that situation.

If you look at the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) it shows a prediction of how busy the train will be. If you see three red figure symbols take another train.

Shahharesh
    Participant
    15 posts
    8 June 2019 at 11:11:33 #914457

It is usually very rare that the trains are as jam packed as in our India. Just check for three red figures in the train prediction and avoid just those. They’re hardly 10-15% of such trains. Rest all are having plenty of space.

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    8 June 2019 at 16:05:34 #914458

It helps to tell us when you’ll be in Switzerland. If October for example, then you won’t have any problems. If July-August, then that’s another situation.

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 June 2019 at 17:05:02 #914459

Hi Agarwal ashi,

I think your Jungfraujoch concern has just been adressed in this topic: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/train-ticket-discounts-for-mt-titlis-and-jungfrauj.

You can check myswissalps.com/titlis /tickets for advance purchase options of Titlis tickets. Trains to Engelberg (on the route to Titlis) could be crowded in high season during the peak hours of the day, but seat reservations for such regional trains are very uncommon and I think that they’re not even available for this route

Please refer to myswissalps.com/train /reservations for further information on seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2019 at 20:55:21 #914460

Hi…I will be there in mid August.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 June 2019 at 7:12:18 #914461

In that case a reservation for Jungfraujoch would not be a bad idea, or at least buy your ticket a day in advance: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets. That way you don’t have a problem if it’s sold out on the day itself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 8:52:55 #914462

Ha ha…

We indians are in so much awe of disciplined civilization of europe but let me tell you things are similar to certain extent everywhere..

Things are different in sense there is no rush. What europeans call rush is only 25% of what we observe at Mumbai stations.

Just enter the train…enjoy the STP upto its limit.

SBB authorities promptly solved my doubt abour STP in Lyria when i asked for its validity till Swiss border while traveling from Zurich to Paris. STP cant be used for high speed trains.

Be humble..do not argue..shiw the world different disciplined India

All the best

• The thread ‘Swiss train reservations vs seat availability’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.