Bernina Express and Glacier Express train routes: do they overlap?

• coral
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 February 2024 at 15:25:59 #1212637

Hi all I am a bit confused as to whether The Bernina Express and the Glacier Express cover the same track from Chur for a to St Moritz.  Different maps show different things.  Can anyone assist.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kamil_krk
    Participant
    111 posts
    28 February 2024 at 15:53:19 #1212641

coral – yes, “Glacier Express” and “Bernina Express” going thru the same route between Chur and Samedan (not so far from St. Moritz); “Bernina Express” which starting at Chur is passing St. Moritz

Kamil

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    29 February 2024 at 16:37:17 #1214458

Hi coral,

In addition to Kamil’s reply, do take a read of our guides to both train rides, which will explain the routes and the overlap.

Should you be thinking of taking a trip on either or both, they do require the purchase of a seat reservation.  They are both popular so I’d lock in your seat reservations as soon as possible once your plans are confirmed.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    3 March 2024 at 3:53:47 #1219997

Hi coral,

In a nutshell, the Glacier Express runs from start to finish from Zermatt to St Moritz (or reverse direction). The Bernina Express runs from Tirano to Chur (again, or reverse). However, there are a few different options along the Bernina, such as going to Davos, St Moritz, and I believe Pontrasina. (You can check the link from Yolanda to see the options available.) Perhaps that may be why you were getting different maps? When I went 5 years ago, I took the Bernina from Lugano (bus) to Tirano and train from Tirano to St Moritz. Next day I took a regional train to Chur and rode the Glacier Express to Zermatt from there. For my “Express” train reserves, I used a travel agent since I’m not tech savvy and didn’t encounter any confusion in any way. I hope you have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    342 posts
    4 March 2024 at 4:05:34 #1220435

Hi Coral,

The attached aerial photo might help you to visualise the overlap between the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express services that depart from Chur. They follow an identical route as far as Samedan.

On the attached aerial shot, the red lines are train lines. The line coming into Bever from the left is the route of both the Glacier Express and Bernina Express coming from Chur. Then they both continue along the same track to Samedan.

At Samedan, the track forks. The Glacier Express takes the track on the left into St Moritz, where it terminates, while the Bernina Express takes that on the right down to Pontresina, from where it continues to Tirano.

Bernina Express services (and regional trains) that depart from St Moritz to Tirano take a shortcut to Pontresina, shown by the red line that goes around the edge of the forest, forming the bottom of the roughly triangular shape made by the trainlines.

Hope this helps to clarify things!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Bernina Express and Glacier Express train routes: do they overlap?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.