Swiss train tickets cheaper to booked in advance?

• BernUK
    Participant
    4 posts
    28 May 2017 at 9:39:58 #812009

Hi you guys.

Is it recommendable and cheaper to buy train tickets online from Basel to Lucerne, Lucerne to Zurich, and Zurich to Basel in advance or we can just buy it on the train station on the day itself?

Also on the hotel that we booked on each city – the hotel would be providing us a mobility ticket for public transport around in Basel and Zurich. I’m not sure in the Lucerne hotel though (which is the most expensive one) – I still need to double-check it. Is it automatically included on all the hotels in Switzerland because the hotel rooms are already too expensive?

I’m looking forward for all of your response.

Many thanks

Bern

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 15:38:08 #864097

Hi Bern,

No those local transit passes are not always included with your hotel stay. It is best to check with your hotel.

It can be cheaper booking tickets online sometimes if the retailer is having a promotion or you can find a supersaver ticket with Swiss railways (they aren’t always available and are for a specific train at a specific time so if you miss it you can’t take another train later). You can search for and buy supersaver tickets on the Swiss railways timetable here (trains with the % sign have a discount).

You can buy tickets to those destinations here. People often buy a rail pass while traveling in Switzerland if they are here for more than 2 or 3 days and/or are traveling regularly – have you considered a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass?

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss train tickets cheaper to booked in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.