Swiss train tickets cheaper to booked in advance?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
BernUK
BernUK
4 posts
May 28, 2017 - 9:39 AM

Hi you guys.

Is it recommendable and cheaper to buy train tickets online from Basel to Lucerne, Lucerne to Zurich, and Zurich to Basel in advance or we can just buy it on the train station on the day itself?

Also on the hotel that we booked on each city – the hotel would be providing us a mobility ticket for public transport around in Basel and Zurich. I’m not sure in the Lucerne hotel though (which is the most expensive one) – I still need to double-check it. Is it automatically included on all the hotels in Switzerland because the hotel rooms are already too expensive?

I’m looking forward for all of your response.

Many thanks

Bern

Lucas
Lucas
9658 posts
expert &
May 28, 2017 - 3:38 PM in reply to BernUK

Hi Bern,

No those local transit passes are not always included with your hotel stay. It is best to check with your hotel.

It can be cheaper booking tickets online sometimes if the retailer is having a promotion or you can find a supersaver ticket with Swiss railways (they aren't always available and are for a specific train at a specific time so if you miss it you can't take another train later). You can search for and buy supersaver tickets on the Swiss railways timetable here (trains with the % sign have a discount).

You can buy tickets to those destinations here. People often buy a rail pass while traveling in Switzerland if they are here for more than 2 or 3 days and/or are traveling regularly - have you considered a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass?

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018