Train / Titlis / Jungfrauach

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2010 at 0:42:49 #803892

Hi

we are a family of 4 adults and 2 kids.

We are taking a car because our chalet is abour 3.5 kms from grindelwald and have been asked by our landlady

We intend to travel to the following

1) Jungfrauach – (we are thinking of driving teh car upto Kleine Schnedeigg, park it in Kleine Schnedeigg and take a train to Jungfrauach — to save on train costs from Grindelwald to Kleine Schnedeigg).

2) Titlis – drive the car right upto Engelberg and then take the cable car to titlis

3) Schilthorn – drive right upto stechelberg and then take a cable car to schilthorn restaurant

4) Train to Venice

My questions are

1) If we buy a Swiss Half Pass – we pay CHF 100 for the pass and then pay tickets to Jungfrauch (50% discount), Titlis Cable car (50% discount) and Train to Venice

(The swiss half pass should be valid till Domodossola so we book the 50% discount ticket from Grindelwald to Domodossola and then another ticket from Domodossola to Venice – is that possible ?

2) Or the other option is to take a swiss pass for 4 days — is Jungfrauch, Titlis Cable car and Ticket from grindelwald to Domodossola free under the swiss pass ?

regards
    Jaspal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 July 2010 at 7:58:49 #831494

Hello jaspal,

Overlooking your questions I came to the following answers and options, and I will follow your itinerary. I will give you links so that you can do some checking yourself and I will give you the prices (per person and 2nd class).

1) Jungfrauach – (we are thinking of driving teh car upto Kleine Schnedeigg, park it in Kleine Schnedeigg and take a train to Jungfrauach — to save on train costs from Grindelwald to Kleine Schnedeigg).
    For your information: you are not allowed to drive your car to Kleine Scheidegg as it is a car free area.
    So you will have to take a cog railway from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg. If you want to check yourself prices can be found here.
    2nd class return ticket CHF 162 from Grindelwald

2) Titlis – drive the car right upto Engelberg and then take the cable car to titlis
    Information about prices can be found here.
    Return ticket CHF 82

3) Schilthorn – drive right upto stechelberg and then take a cable car to schilthorn restaurant
    Return ticket CHF 91.80 from Stechelberg, and here you can check for yourself.

4) Train to Venice
    Grindelwald to Domodossola CHF 122.40 (2nd class return ticket. I presume you want to go back from Venice to Grindelwald?)

Total costs per person without discount CHF 458.20

My questions are

1) If we buy a Swiss Half Pass – we pay CHF 100 for the pass and then pay tickets to Jungfrauch (50% discount), Titlis Cable car (50% discount) and Train to Venice
    The Swiss Half Fare Card (valid during one month) will cost CHF 99, and indeed you will get a 50% discount on your trips to Jungfraujoch, Titlis, Schilthorn and up to Domodossola when travelling to Venice.
    Total costs with the Half Fare Card would be CHF 328,10 per person.
    Children up to 15 years old travel along for free with this Card!

(The swiss half pass should be valid till Domodossola so we book the 50% discount ticket from Grindelwald to Domodossola and then another ticket from Domodossola to Venice – is that possible ?
    Yes, that’s possible. With your Half Fare Card you will be able to travel to Domodossola with a 50% discount, but you will have to buy the ticket to Venice apart from that. And as you travel to another country I guess you have to make reservations! I suggest you do that quite some time before you want to go, just to make sure.

2) Or the other option is to take a swiss pass for 4 days — is Jungfrauch, Titlis Cable car and Ticket from grindelwald to Domodossola free under the swiss pass ?
    The Swiss Pass costs CHF 260,- per person, 2nd class.
    But buying A Swiss Pass for two or more people travelling together will give 15% discount (called a Swiss Saver Pass) making it CHF 221 per person.

– To Jungfraujoch you will get 25% discount, so the price will be CHF 121,50
    – To Titlis 50% discount, making CHF 41
    – To Schilthorn you can travel for free to Mürren and get 50% discount between Mürren and Schilthorn, this makes CHF 35,70
    – To Domodossola you’ll travel for free.

With the STS (=Swiss Travel System) Family Card children from 6 up to and including 15 years old travel for free if accompanied by at least one of their parents. The STS Family Card can be supplied with your order for free. Children up to and including 5 years old travel for free, if accompanied by an adult.

With a Swiss Saver Pass this makes a total of CHF 419,20 per person.

So, for your plans the Half Fare Card seems to be the best option!

I hope I have helped. If any questions remain, please let me know. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2010 at 23:40:46 #831495

Hello Wanderman
    THANKS A TON
    You have been a great help.
    Regards
    Jaspal

• The thread ‘Train / Titlis / Jungfrauach’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.