Transfer Pass and/or Separate Tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2011 at 2:45:46 #804497

I’ve been trying to figure out the transfer pass vs. just buying separate tickets. Here are the particulars:

Flying into Zurich and staying at a friends home in Zurich for 4 days. Planning to have day trips mostly. Don’t know whether I can find a guided tour bus or just take a train. I will travel to Berne one day.

My 15 year old daughter is flying into Zurich, will stay/local travel a couple of nights and then we will both go to Imst. All travel with her will be together.

Are transfer tickets good to go all the way to Imst Austria? If the fare is the same (or even cheaper to Imst) – is there any advantage to the transfer ticket?

Basically, as I review the Swiss Rail site – it appears that there isn’t much of a price advantage through the passes. Buying separate fares seems like the way to go although I don’t know whether I can get the “free” ticket for my daughter at the ticket counter (I recall paying separately for my daughter on my last trip – but perhaps it was due to the fact that I just went to the ticket window and asked for an adult and a child tickets).

Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 July 2011 at 5:16:33 #833522

Hi profww,

You may want to look into the Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s the cheapest pass available and provides 50% discounts on almost any trip. Your daughter will indeed be able to travel along for free with the free Swiss Family Card that can be used with the Swiss Half Fare Card. Further details and purchase options are on this page. It links to a network map as well. The Swiss rail passes, including this one, cover traveling in Switzerland and some towns just across the border, but not all the way to Imst in Austria. A local rail station will be able to sell you a ticket to Imst that takes the 50% discount to the border into account.

If you decide to just buy full price tickets without any pass, you can best purchase a Junior travelcard for your daugther.

I hope this helps you!

• The thread ‘Transfer Pass and/or Separate Tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.