Hi there, I just want to say I find this site the most amazing one there is. I have received wonderful info from Arno and Slowpoke when I had to decide on our itinerary a month ago. So thank you once again for your kind help!
Now I have the problem of finding out about the transport and believe me, I have already read up a lot! But the more I read, the more confused I get. And of course it doesn't help if I'm not sure yet about which excursions we'll be doing. I believe as our arrival time gets closer, I'll have more detailed questions. (We arrive in Switzerland today in exactly 6 weeks!) So PLEASE be patient! Where I come from we use cars because public transport is very limited and bad.
But I'll start with this for now:
1. My husband and I and daughters (10 and 15) will be arriving in Zurich on December 8 at 10 pm. We will need to go from the airport to Langstrasse. How would we go about that? By train and then walk from there? Will it be safe so late at night?
We'll probably walk around most of the time on the 9th and 10th since Langstrasse seems close to the city center.
We leave for Lucern on the 11th. The owner of the apartment we'll be staying at, said we should take a bus from the station 5 stops in the direction of Maihof and we'll be there. We are in Lucern for 4 nights. Will spend mos of the time in Lucern.
2. Maybe do a day trip to Bern. Don't know if we should though.Is it worth the effort and time?
3. Want to go up Mt. Pilatus - thought this would be the easiest. Wanted to check prices and times via your site, but can't type in our date.
4. From Lucern we will travel on the 15th by train to Interlaken to go to Wengen. Here we'll also spend 4 nights. Will spend most of our time in the village and weather permitting go to Jungfraujoch. Also there is an easy hike to or from Kleine Schneidegg (have forgotten the details, but Kim wrote about it) that we want to do if the weather plays along.
We leave Wengen on the 19th and will be travelling to Innsbruck.
5. So now I sit with the problem. Which pass? I know the kids travel for free since they're under 16.
6. And do I book these journeys between cities now already or only once we are there? Can one book the journeys beforehand - or do we first need a pass? And the train from Interlaken to Wengen? The trip to Jungfraujoch I'll only book once there - if we see it is a clear day. Well hopefully.
7. Do I book the trip to Innsbruck with the Swiss railway or the Austrian one? Can I choose the option to get off at Vaduz to spend an hour or 2 there or would that then entail two seperate journeys?
I am sorry I have so many questions and things I am uncertain about. I don't want to waste money on the wrong pass.
Initially we wanted to see much more of Switzerland and I know we are missing out on a lot. But we also don't want to do our own "Amazing Race" and spend half the trip on trains. Furthermore we had to consider shorter days and the possibility of bad weather.
We are looking forward to our time in Switzerland so much. Haven't been there in 20 years! Girls have never been there - we are extremely excited, but I have to make sure everything works out well and for that I need the help of all you kind, clever and helpful people out there!
Any advice on the transport considering our travel plans and also any excursions that are a MUST - please let me know!
Thank you very much in advance!