Transportation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2010 at 10:39:40 #803853

Thank you for your help. 2 questions:

1. How long does it take to get from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen by rail? then on to Wengen?

2. Also I will staying in Lucerne for 4 days and then would like to head to the Berner Oberland area. Would you suggest going to the Tourist Information area when I arrive in Lucern to discuss the best options regarding rail passes that would be best for my itinerary. Can I buy it there?

Thank you

Suzanne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2010 at 15:58:12 #831363

Hi Suzanne,

1. Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen is about 30 minutes, Lauterbrunnen – Wengen is about 15 minutes. Details can be found in the timetable.

2. I estimate that the expertise of the Tourist Information desk is more focused on local sightseeing and accommodation, rather than rail passes for other regions. But I might be wrong, so you can certainly ask. I would try the information desk of the SBB (Swiss federal railways) first. Also, many rail passes and all their details, including purchase options, can be found on this website, so you might be able to make your choice beforehand. I think the Swiss Half Fare Card is worth to be considered. A pass currently not listed on this website is the Jungfrau Railways Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2010 at 18:48:15 #831364

Thanks for your reply!
    Yes it seems I need to figure out the cost of each gondola, mountain train, est. while in the region to see what is beneficial. As the Swiss half fare card I can get half price on almost everything but it might equal out to be more than just getting a:
    Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland or Junfrau Railway Pass (which pays for all gondolas, mountain trains…) and pay full price for the ticket from Lucern to Interlacken.

What is the best way to find out transportation prices in the area of Bernese Oberland (gondolas, funiculars and mountain trains).

Thanks again for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2010 at 19:22:30 #831365

I went on the your suggested website for the Jungfrau Railway pass and found the current prices for transportation.:-)

• The thread ‘Transportation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.