Travel planning help 6 days Switzerland November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 3:34:09 #813615

Hell MySwissAlos, We will arriving from London on 21st and will have about 6 days in Switzerland. We will depart from Zurich. Our objective is to visit experience the beautiful mountains, lakes and cities of Switzerland. Can you kindly please assist us :

a) Which Swiss city should we land in from London in order to cover as much of the objectives as possible?

b) Which Swiss rail pass should be use to achieve (a)

Any Thanks for your assistance.

Jeremiah

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 9:55:51 #871564

Hi Jeremiah and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What month are we talking about? Nov.21?
    I would suggest taking a look at our web site to find ideas of where you may like to go and what you may like to do.

You can find flights into Basel, Geneva or Zurich. All would work out I think. You may want to focus on the Bernese Oberland region I think – have a look at that page and see if that is what you are looking for. Another good option is Luzern with it’s many activities nearby.

For rail passes, The Swiss Travel Pass is often the easiest, and usually the best option. It can be a regional pass as well if you stay in one town or one region only.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2017 at 10:13:50 #871565

Hi Jeremiah-

<<“Which Swiss city should we land in from London in order to cover as much of the objectives as possible?”>>

Basel is the least convenient, because you must take a shuttle bus from the airport to the downtown train station. Geneva and Zürich airports have rail stations that provide direct connections to the entire rail network in Switzerland, as well as internationally.

Both Basel and Geneva are on the periphery of the country. Zürich is more centrally located, and might be your best choice. However, it is a small country, and all parts of it are quite beautiful, so, as Lucas notes, any would work.

I’d personally choose Zürich, but that is because of personal choices of

where I usually go from there, as well as the chance to visit friends in the

area.

To check out times form one city or town to another, use the official timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

This map is useful for travelers. Zoom in to see rail lines. Under “Points of Interest in the menu, check the options under Traffic.

map.search.ch/?pos=727424,209280&z=1

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2017 at 10:21:09 #871566

Hi Jeremiah,

For that length of visit I would fly into Zurich and split my time between Lucerne and Wengen. If you can afford it take a trip from Wengen to Jungfraujoch.

From Wengen a day trip to Zermatt to take a squiz at the Matterhorn is not out of the question.

Enjoy.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 November 2017 at 16:17:44 #871567

G’day Rockoyster –

Although you are lucky enough to be enjoying Spring in November, down under, unfortunately in Wengen it is early winter. “Low” season between Fall hiking and Wintre skiing.

Many, but not all restaurants, hotels and tourist services will closed or not be running until the ski season begins in December. The mountains will certainly be there to look at.

The cograil to Jungfraujoch will be running. The cableways to Schilthorn are undergoing maintenance in most of November:

<<“Services on the Mürren – Schilthorn

route will not run due to maintenance work from 24th- 2 8th April 2017 and from 1 3th November – 8th

December 2017. There will be limited service on the Stechelberg –

Gimmelwald – Mürren route. If demand is heavy, connections cannot be guaranteed”>>

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2017 at 20:02:30 #871568

Good point Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Travel planning help 6 days Switzerland November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.