12 March 2018 at 20:02:15 #814738

Hi, we will be driving from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken,

this Friday. We will be staying in Murren (all booked) for a few days

with the intention of traveling up to Schilthorn and perhaps

Jungfrauhoch. My husband has never been in the mountains, before, so I

want to show him how beautiful it all is! Part of the experience is the

actual trip up to Murren but I can’t work out if it is better to go from

Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken. I have promised him the cog and wheel (is

that the right description??) train as part of that – he loves trains…

So which would you think is the best place to start our journey up?

We will need to park the car for the few days that we are up at Murren. I’m also super confused about the ticketing options. Can anyone advise, please? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 20:10:48 #878636

You can leave your car in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen.

From at Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus).

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out how long it takes to get from A to B.

Have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss. Under the Where it’s valid tab you’ll find a handy map which should help you get your bearings.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 20:41:44 #878637

As per rockoyster’s suggestion the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass might be a good option. Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are not discounted with a 2-day Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass in case you’re looking at a pass for two days. You may want to have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty) as well.

We have a page on our website on how to pick the best rail pass for your trip. You’ll need to decide where you will be traveling to during your trip and do the math to compare point to point tickets vs. different rail passes.

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable rockoyster referred to, to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 20:50:47 #878638

Thank you rockoyster. Are there other options from Lauterbrunnen up to

Murren or is it only a cable car to Grutschalp and then the cogwheel

train to Murren?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 20:51:38 #878639

And thanks for the tip about that pass, I will take a look. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 20:53:35 #878640

Thanks for making that clear for me, Chantal, at least I know what I need to do , now. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 21:02:15 #878641

The only other way up to Mürren is by cable car from Stechelberg.

You could in fact leave your car at Stechelberg I guess. See grindelwald.swiss/en/w inter/arrival/arrival-by-car/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 22:17:15 #878642

Hello, please allow me to use this forum instead of initiating a new one as I have a similar query. SBB website provides the only option of arriving at Murren BLM station. How long does it take to walk from that station to the center of Murren where probably the cable car station and some of the hotels (Alpenruh ?) are ? And how easy or how difficult that walk would be with a backpack and a small carry on suitcase ? SBB website doesn’t show the route (Stechelberg to Murren by cable car).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 23:01:37 #878643

You can walk from the BLM station to the Schilthornbahn in 10 – 15 minutes depending on how much time you spend gazing at the mountain scenery.

It is a flat to gentle slope. Alpenruh Hotel is 850 meters from BLM Station. Have a look at Google maps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 0:57:58 #878644

Thanks rockoyster one more time for relentlessly helping all of us !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 2:53:59 #878645

>> SBB website provides the only option of arriving at Murren BLM station … SBB website doesn’t show the route (Stechelberg to Murren by cable car).

The SBB timetable will show the you fastest route by default. More often than not, that will be the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp, from where the train takes you on to Mürren.

If you want to see the options for getting there on the cable car from Stechelberg, put “via Stechelberg” into your timetable search.

If you can’t type the letter ü, substitute ue instead i.e. Muerren. The word “murren” (with u instead of ü) means “to grumble” 😉

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 March 2018 at 3:02:07 #878646

Thanks Alpenrose. I forgot to answer that bit of srdebnath’s question. But thereby discovering the meaning of “murren” was worth the oversight. I’m sure it will come in very handy for an old Grumpy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 3:26:15 #878647

Thank you all for enlightening me. Now I know the meaning of the place I am going to visit !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 4:57:15 #878648

>> Now I know the meaning of the place I am going to visit !

No, I’m afraid you have misunderstood 🙂

Mürren and murren are two entirely different words, also pronounced differently.

Mürren (spelt with ü or ue) is the name of the village

murren (spelt with u) means “to grumble”

I was trying to make the point that spelling Mürren with u instead of ü (with the two dots over the u) makes a difference both in meaning and pronunciation.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 12:12:06 #878649

Oh, I see. Many thanks Alpenrose for taking the time to clarify in detail.

When I purchased the train tickets yesterday, I noticed that for one of the three connections, reservation is possible. Is it recommended to reserve seats for that section ?

Is there a separate coach for reserved seats ?

Also, if it is overcrowded and no seats are available, do passengers have to travel standing in the coach or passengers are not allowed to travel standing ?

Thanks !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 18:54:05 #878650

Hi Catsinger –

Sounds like a fun trip! My husband and I just took our son through Zurich & Murren. I actually just wrote a blog post that has details on our travel (things to do/getting around/eating/etc.) — may prove to be helpful to you!

Have a wonderful time!

Lauren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 20:17:29 #878651

No need to make a reservation and there won’t be a separate coach, I believe. Normally there are always enough seats. People are allowed to stand when traveling.

• The thread ‘Travel and tickets up to Murren and beyond’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.