Travel from Chandolin to Gornergrat & return

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 18:19:35 #816166

Can my family group of 5 adults 3 kids travel from Chandolin to Gornagratt by postal bus to train to Gornegratt train straight through? We would like to travel in the morning of June 22 and return late that same day. What is the least costly type of ticket, or, would a Pass be best? How to book and pay for the travel? Thank you. Paul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 19:49:24 #886044

Hi Guano and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is about 4 hours from Chandolin to Gornergrat (4 connections total). You can find specific trip details on the Swiss railways timetable here.

Prices can also be found on the timetable link once you are within 30 days of travel (but pricing doesn’t really change so you are looking at about 115chf one-way.

To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) while in Switzerland and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 21:11:09 #886045

Thanks Lucas,

We have rental cars. Would it be quickest for us to drive to Tasch and take the shuttle in to Zermatt? If so, how much time should we plan it to take for that route and mode?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:21:15 #886046

Ah, I thought you said you were traveling by bus and train.

A car would be quicker from Chandolin. Google Maps says about 1.5 hours each way to Täsch (probably a bit longer than that in the end). By train/bus it would take almost 3 hours.

Yes you would have to drive to Täsch and then train into Zermatt and another train to Gornergrat (https://www.myswissalp s.com/gornergrat/getti ngthere).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 23:26:09 #886047

Alternatively, drive your car from Chandolin to the main valley, then to avoid another long drive uphill, and fully enjoy the scenic railway to Zermatt, park the car at Visp, and ride the train from there, it would be more relaxed, and allow the driver to see the scenery as well as the passengers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 2:20:51 #886048

Thanks, folks. Greutzi.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 5:18:33 #886049

Happy travels! Gruetzi is Swiss for hello/greetings by the way. You’ll get it a lot on hikes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 22:00:07 #886050

Gruetzi, in Zermatt but perhaps not around Chandolin 🙂

and it is usually Gruesse in Bernese territory

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 6:02:46 #886051

Well if someone says a quick work to you on the hiking trail and it starts with a Gr they are saying hello. 😉

I could never keep up with the different words / slang around Switzerland. 😆

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 3:36:13 #886052

Anyone interested in the varieties of greeting in different areas of German-speaking Switzerland might find this site interesting:

http://www.dialektkarten.ch/p ointmaps.de.html#5112_ gruss

You can use the drop-down box at top right of the page to see varieties of other words and their geographical distribution.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 23:26:08 #886053

Thanks for the interesting link, Alpenrose!

How do you manage to find these things?

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 0:53:59 #886054

Hi Maggie,

>> Thanks for the interesting link, Alpenrose!

Glad you found the link interesting!

>> How do you manage to find these things?

My usual way of finding things is by accident when I’m looking for something else 😀 That’s probably how I found that, several years ago.

I have been learning German for almost 10 years now, and have a particular interest in its many varieties, especially in regard to the words and expressions you hear a lot when travelling in German-speaking countries.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 21:30:48 #886055

We also heard “Greusse Gott” — which we took to mean “God greets you”, or “God’s grace with you”. Either way, and, even if the meaning’s actually not either of those, it was always said in a friendly way. We’re really excited about being able to bring our grandkids into your gracious land!”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 22:43:13 #886056

Grüsse Gott is the commonest phrase in Austria and Germany

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 8:00:05 #886057

That’s about right for the translation – it threw me off the first time I heard it (usually in Austria) but of course it is a friendly greeting. 🙂

I’ve heard it in Switzerland once or twice and the Bavarian region of Germany once or twice too but mostly Austria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 21:40:42 #886058

The most common greeting we have heard is Gruetzi mittenand or Grüsse but have also been greeted by Grüsse Gott. When we mentioned it at our hotel, a local said that’s because it’s Sunday and some people say Grüsse Gott on Sundays only!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 18:58:27 #886059

Nearing my departure, and have a few more q’s:

We’re 8 people: 5 adults, two 13 year-olds, and a 10 year old. We’re visiting zermatt for just 1 day (June 22). We want to take hiking and walking excursions, using cable cars and possibly cog trains to reach mostly snow-free trail heads for trails that are mostly easy and less than 6km long. My specific q’s follow:

Where do we get onto the circular walk in Furi tht takes in the Gletschergarten Dossen and lets us travel on the 100m long suspension bridge above Gornerschlucht Gorge?

Where do enter on the walk through that gorge?

Would we need to pay a fee for those? If so, what are the costs for our full group?

About the Scooter riding from Furi: is it likely to be open on that day — that is, it may rain or snow, but will it have opened for the summer schedule by then? Does the path take us right back to the Dorsaz sport shop?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 19:24:56 #886060

Regarding my last entry, another itinerary we’re considering is going up the Gornergrat to Riffelalp or Riffelberg and doing similar activities there or on trails heading down.

A third itinerary would be the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise or simply riding up to the Panoramic Platform (Kleine Matterhorn?), walking on snow, having lunch and returning.

We’ve also read about 3-wheeled mountain carts for rent. Are they likely to be available on the 22nd? Where would we get them, what routes do they use, where do they end up?

With just one day, is there a pass or other way to minimize cost of the mountain transport systems? We also may split into 2 or 3 groups going to different venues. Should we simply expect to buy individual tickets and skip the task of researching passes? What’s the location of the brass sculpted marmot? Walking times from the Train Station to the lift station heading to Furi, or to the brass marmot sculpture? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 7:28:57 #886061

Hi Guana,

For hiking trails, you’ll need to check with the local tourism office to see what is snow-free. Most should be by mid-late June. Especially those under 2000 meters. You can read about hiking opportunities in Zermatt here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zermatt/activiti es

For a local transport card, have a look at the AdventureCard: https://www.myswissalp s.com/adventurecard. It might be just what you need.

We don’t have very specific information on our website for some of the adventure activities in Zermatt, like scooter rentals and their routes. Best to look through zermatt.ch and contact the rental companies for those specific questions.

Here are a few links to get you started:

The gorge is quite close to Zermatt, about 15 minute walk and does have a small entrance fee: (https://www.zermatt.ch /en/Media/Attractions/ Gorner-gorge)

Dirt scooters: https://www.zermatt.ch /en/Media/Planning-hikes-tours/Dirtscooter-on-Schwarzsee

Klein Matterhorn and Glacier Paradise are the same trip. https://www.myswissalp s.com/kleinmatterhorn

• The thread ‘Travel from Chandolin to Gornergrat & return’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.