Travel to Luzern/Interlaken with a Tell-Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2015 at 20:22:27 #807913

Hi,

Firstly, i would like to thank for the enormous info present in this website which helped me prepare a tentative plan for my swiss trip. Below is my planned itinerary. Would appreicate if you could provide your suggestions/comments.

I would arrive at Schaffenhausen on the 19th of September and would like to proceed to Luzern. My planned stay would be at Luzern. I have booked an apartment for a week until the 26th of September. Hence, i would need to travel to/fro Schaffenhausen-Luzern on the start day and end day of my trip. Any suggestions for a discounted travel?

From the 21st -25th of September, i plan the following trip day trips:

Day 1 – To Mount Titlis

Day 2 – To Mount Pilatus

Day 3 – Mount Rigi

Day 4 – Stanserhorn

Day 5 – Jungfraujoch ( Travel from Luzern and back to Luzern). This is going to be a long and tiring day but i prefer to do so as i have booked an apartment for a week at Luzern.

Based on the above schedule and the enormous inputs that i received by browsing through your site, i believe the ‘Tell Pass 5 days for 230 Euros’ would be the right choice. My initial plan was to take the Half fare card, but it does not suit the itinerary. Please suggest if the understanding is correct. I have a child 4 years old. Wouldn’t it be free for the child?

Also, for the trip to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Ost, could you please suggest how this trip could be covered as i would not have the ‘Half fare card.

Your inputs would help me finalise the itinerary.

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 September 2015 at 5:56:18 #846059

Hi prztravel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Whether the Tell-Pass works out cheaper than the Swiss Half Fare Card can be calculated. It looks like a good choice, apart from the Jungfraujoch trip. Calculating is the only way to know for sure. Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch is indeed not included in the Tell-Pass, so you’d have to buy a regular ticket for about CHF 200 per adult. The trip will take about 11 hours from Luzern.

Children up to 5 years old travel for free everywhere. All you need is a passport as proof of the age.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2015 at 6:31:08 #846060

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much. I had done the calculations in the following way(for 3 adults with Half fare card):

302(Half fare card) + 180(Titlis) + 150(Pilatus) + 150(Rigi) + 50(Stanserhorn)+ 96(trip to/fro Interlaken(Ost)) – is this correct———————————- 928 EUROS———————————-

With the 5 day Tell-Pass, it would work out for 690 Euros. Have i missed out on anything?

For the Jungfraujoch trip, is there any suggestion to reduce on the 200 Euros p.p(someother discount pass or so)

Also, for my trip to Luzern on the arrival day from Schaffhausen and the return, do you have any suggestions? According to my calculations, this round trip would cost me about 120 Euros (for 3 adults). Is this correct? Any tips?

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2015 at 8:08:42 #846061

Hi Arno,

On further adding the Jungfraujoch expenses, both the cards seem to cost me almost the same.

with Half fare card – 928 + 306 (Jungfraujoch) + 96 (Luzern-Interlaken(O)-Luzern trips) = 1330 Euros( additonally, the Schaffhausen-Luzern-Schaffhausen trips 66Euros)

=> Grand Total – 1396 Euros with Half Fare Card

With Tell Pass card – 690 + 612 (Jungfraujoch)= 1302 Euros( additionally, the Schaffhausen-Luzern-Schaffhausen trips 132 Euros)

=> Grand Total – 1434 Euros with Tell Pass Summer.

But, i think the Tell Pass would be a better bet as it would be hassle free travel without bothering about ticket purchases. What do you suggest? Have i missed out any other expenses in my calculation?

Also, please suggest if there is any good discounts that i could avail for the schaffhausen-luzern trip and the jungfraujoch trip.

Thanks in advance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 September 2015 at 14:32:32 #846062

Hi prztravel,

I did not check all prices but at first glance most of it looks fine. Except for Stanserhorn: € 50 for 3 return tickets is not correct. It’s CHF 111 including the 50% discount and excluding the train to Stans.

If both options cost about the same, then indeed the Tell-Pass is more convenient. Schaffhausen to Luzern is included in the pass from Baar (see the map). You need a regular ticket for the rest of the trip.

There are discounts on the Jungfraujoch trip if you depart very early or very late, but that would not be realistic when coming all the way from Luzern. You can find more information here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2015 at 16:47:50 #846063

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

• The thread ‘Travel to Luzern/Interlaken with a Tell-Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.