Catching Bernina Express from Chur after Lucerne

• AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 July 2019 at 1:09:02 #822721

Hi Forum Experts,

We are in Lucerne from 29th Dec to 31st Dec. We have to take Bernina Express on 1st Jam morning to Tirano. I am sorely tempted to do an overnight journey from Lucerne to Chur (I think 4 changes) rather than stay in Lucerne or Chur as it will give us more time in Lucerne & not rush in morning. We will be having Swiss Pass. Is it a feasible plan or will it be too hectic? We will have luggage, probably one medium sized trolley each (3 of us) & a backpack each.

TIA & Regards,

Alpana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2019 at 3:38:17 #917197

Hello Alpana,

Have you checked the SBB website (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel? I am not aware of any “overnight” connections unless you plan to spend several hours in a desolate train station along the way.

AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 July 2019 at 9:45:34 #917198

Hi rockoyster,

Thanks for your response. I checked. And it does have a long waiting period between changes. So I guess I have to drop my “brilliant” idea :). I am reluctant to take chance with taking train early morning from Lucerne in case something goes amiss. Which would be a better place to stay overnight for Bernina Express – Zurich or Chur?

Regards, Alpana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2019 at 9:56:55 #917199

I think Chur is a better place to stay. But that’s because I am not keen on getting up before 6:00am.

If you caught a train from Luzern you would need to get up in time to catch a 6:00am train. If you stayed in Zurich you would need to get up in time to catch a 7:00am train.

If you stayed overnight in Chur you would only need to get up in time to catch an 8:30am train. No brainer. 😉

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 July 2019 at 12:38:57 #917200

Thanks, rockoyster. I will go with Chur.

Regards, Alpana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 23:23:00 #917201

There is no such thing as an overnight journey option within Switzerland, the country is too small. The trouble with ’21st century’ technology is that it sometimes gives you an idea you can do something ‘on paper’ which actually turns out not to be possible in reality.

This is probably what has happened here, because ‘the computer’ behind online travel planners will happily give you a departure time of say 22.00 from your starting point and an arrival of say 06.00 at your destination, but it won’t worry about what happens to you (for example) at ‘town X’ between 01.30 and 04.45.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 23:23:34 #917202

Bear in mind the night you are talking about is New Years Eve…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 23:27:23 #917203

You should stay overnight in Chur. The Bernina Express departs Chur at 08.30 in the morning

AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 July 2019 at 0:07:58 #917204

1960man,

Thanks for your response. We will stay in Chur.

And the “smart” planner was me. No online or third party to blame in this. I was thinking that we will spend New Year’s eve in train as getting hotel might be difficult. There did seem to be a possible way as per SBB but in hindsight it was a silly idea.

Regards, Alpana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 23:28:46 #917205

This is actually quite an interesting subject.

There has been an ever increasing number of ‘pyjama’ trains on Swiss lines in recent years, which cater for ‘clubbers’ and operate on Friday (ie early Saturday morning) and Saturday (ie early Sunday morning) nights only – and on other obvious dates – including 31 Jan (ie departing early morning of Jan 1.

The trouble is Switzerland simply isn’t a big enough country for these trains to take long to reach their destination (unlike similar trains in large European countries such as France and Germany.)

There is indeed such a train Zurich – Chur, departing at 00.20 and arriving Chur at 01.47.

But, arriving at 01.47 on January 1 in the Alps would not be pleasant (!) unless you had arranged somewhere to go and sleep

AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 July 2019 at 1:50:04 #917206

Nice to know, 1960man. I think I am better off reaching Chur on 31st night & staying near station. Specially with a teen with me, I don’t want to risk her safety My hubby was anyway not keen on this but I wanted to sound it off & see if it worked before discarding. Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Alpana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    AlpanaK
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 July 2019 at 0:35:55 #917208

Wow! That sounds great. Not sure if my budget permits. Let me think :). Thanks, rockoyster.

• The thread ‘Catching Bernina Express from Chur after Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.