Travelling to the Swiss Alps in Sept 2019

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 July 2019 at 3:23:15 #901526

Good deal!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 10:08:08 #901527

Hi Rockoyster-

From your screen grab, it looks like they are encouraging you not to use their phone system whilst traveling outside Australia. ;-(

Each of us has different options.

In the USA, I have 2 providers – Verizon, for the best internal network, but pricey overseas ( years ago they were on the long gone CDMA and had no overseas service) , and T-Mobile, a Deutsche Telecom subsidiary. They have no roaming charges in Europe. That is why I got their service years ago, for business travel. Other details change periodically, but, it is cheap to use them wherever there is a Deutsche Telecom relationship.. And, I keep the same phone number, familiar to my bank, etc.

T-Mobile service in the USA used to be spotty, hence, two providers, but the have begun to invest again, and are now getting better. But, to get T-Mobile at my home, I have to get a signal booster from them. $25.00 deposit, no monthly rent. That is one way that they deal with spotty service. Otherwise, I’d have to drive a km to get a signal.

Nothing is simple!

Oh yes. Cable TV and internet. I am at the end of the line. Periodically, the line is disrupted. After they fix it, they always ask “Do you want to use our VOIP phone service.” Brazen.

Still keep a copper landline for home phone. Belt and suspenders.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 10:40:30 #901528

Hi Monica –

It is nice to work with someone who plans so carefully. If I don’t do something similar, especially on jet lag days, I find that I waste a lot of time making decisions (or trying to make them).

1. In order to visit Mt.Titlis, where do we disembark? Is it at Engelberg (Talstation Titlis) or Titlis?

My Swiss Alps has a page for Titlis which gives those details:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

Talstation means “valley station” which is the general name for the last (bottom) station on mountain transport. The top end is the “Bergstation” (mountain station).

The end of the train service from Luzern is at Engelberg.Then you need one of the mountain services. You walk to Talstation Titlis, nearby, to go up. So, the name Engelberg (Talstation Titlis) implies that the Talstation is nearby the Station Engelberg.

2. Do we have to board a boat to get to the Transport Museum or can we use any other means of transport as well?

You can take a boat,bus/tram or train.

Mouse over the icons at the museum on this map, and you will see the bus/tram line numbers (which are 6, 8,24, and N4):

map.search.ch/?pos=668228,211675&z=51 2&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,museum,parking,vi asuisse,zug

The museum is at the magenta building icon close to the word Brüelmoos.

I have a moderate interest in trains, and found the historical information about the Swiss system, particularly in the Alps, quite interesting.

If you have time, the walk to or from the museum along the shore back to downtown is about 1.5 or 2 km and is very nice. Mostly or all parks.

This map shows that it is a Wanderweg ( yellow line) so it will have signposts. You would not need them.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2667410.1 5&N=1211885.88&zoom=8

<<“I was able to get in touch with your friend and hopefully I’ll be able to see him in Sachseln.”>>

Glad to hear it. He let me know. Some years in the past he was a helper in Switzerland for travelers with a tour organization. So, he is quite experienced in answering questions and providing advice about Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 July 2019 at 10:51:02 #901529

Hi Monica

1. The cable car to Mt Titlis runs from Engelberg (Talstation Titlis) to Titlis. Talstation means “Valley Station”, in other words the lower end of the cable.

2. You can go to the Transport Museum by bus, line #8, to Verkehrshaus/Lido. The ride lasts 7 minutes. Verkehrshaus is the German name of the museum. You can also go by boat, caution they change the schedule on Sep 9. If your trip is after Sep 9, there is a boat every hour at xx:12 (from the landing just across the railway station), service to Flüelen, calling at Verkehrshaus 10 minutes later.

What an exciting trip you are planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 12:16:28 #901530

Hi Slowpoke

<<It is nice to work with someone who plans so carefully>>

Thank you for your kind words and most of all for your patience in answering every query in such detail.

I’ll make a note of the walk from or to the museum along the shore.

It’ll be good to catch up with your friend. Thank you for your suggestion.

Monica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 12:19:11 #901531

Hi Snowman

Thank you for your response. All my credit for this trip and its planning goes to you all, a HUGE round of applause for each one of you!

Monica

Viewing 6 posts - 141 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • The thread ‘Travelling to the Swiss Alps in Sept 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.