Where to go to for skiing & nature from 21-28 Dec?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2016 at 21:50:13 #810335

Hi.

I and my other friend (two of us) are planning to go to Switzerland this December(21-28). we’ll be landing on Geneva on 21st dec. and we are planning to take the swiss pass for 8 days. I have done all my researching on this website but I still cannot decide where should I go first and where should we visit.

This trip will be our first trip to Switzerland and I am not sure if we will have the chance to visit here again. I save money for 3 years to go for this trip. So, we really wants to take this chance to explore the best of Switzerland.

Can anyone suggest where should our trip base and what can we do and where should we go. we are interested in snows and skiing because we live in a place where there is no winter there. So, it will be best if have the chance to ski or sledging or having fun with the snow just for the sake of experience. but we also like to do sightseeing and see the nature in Switzerland.

Any idea what town/city do we have to head first as we soon as we arrived in Geneva? and one more thing what town/city would be best to celebrate Christmas or lively Christmas market?

thank you so much..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 November 2016 at 11:36:08 #857022

Hi Syarfle, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great that you get to go to Switzerland soon! Regarding skiing: if you haven’t done it before you would need to start with a week of lessons, so that would pretty much take up all of your holiday, and you probably would not need a Swiss Travel Pass (a Swiss Pass is for Swiss residents, that’s not what you need). I’m not sure if that’s what you want. You might be better off with some sledging and winter walking so you’ll also have time to visit towns and peaks. Just putting on skis won’t work as that’s dangerous for yourself and others on the slopes. A private lesson for just a day would theoretically be possible. It will be expensive and you won’t actually learn how to ski in such short time, but you will get a feel for it.

Once you have set your priorities you can continue planning. For now, here’s some tips:

• You’ll be visiting Switzerland in the busiest and most expensive time of the year. I’d recommend to book accommodation quickly. Some hotels may require a minimum stay, although that’s less common than a couple of years ago.
    • There are Christmas markets in many towns. Most if not all will be ended by the 23th or 24th, so be sure to plan a visit in your first days.
    • The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home (see here), so you don’t have to spend time on that in Geneva and go straight to the first available train.
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 November 2016 at 0:46:21 #857023

Hi Syarfle-

An excellent Christmas market within reach of your schedule is at Montreux.

One of the best in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7094 posts
    14 November 2016 at 9:31:03 #857024

Hi Syarfle,

This christmas market overview composed by forum member Maggie may be helpful for you as well.

• The thread ‘Where to go to for skiing & nature from 21-28 Dec?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.