Trip report 14 days solo travel, Zurich & Lucerne

• Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    8 October 2019 at 0:29:34 #824120

First, a very big THANK YOU to all of the amazing moderators and experts and folks who travelled before me! My spontaneous and quickly planned trip would not have been near as perfect had it not been for this forum! So, thank you for all of your expert advice.

I travelled solo for 14 days. I bought a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass and it was worth every penny—I hopped on many, many trains, public busses, cableways and entered several museums without paying an additional fee. The STP made perfect sense and made travel throughout the country seamless and so much fun!

Day 1—I arrived in Zurich just before noon and headed straight for the train to Luzern. Swiss trains are incredibly efficient and so precise. The train station in Luzern is exquisite with a gorgeous archway welcoming you to the city. The first thing I noticed was the unbelievable number of bicycles! I loved that Luzern is a very active city. I checked into the Hotel des Alpes (recommended by Slowpoke) and had a magnificent room that overlooked the Reuss River. The Chapel Bridge and Jesuit church were just outside my window. The view of Mt. Pilatus was mesmerizing. I arrived on a clear, sunny Autumn afternoon so I took full advantage and wandered the Old Towne & checked out all of the neat little boutiques and watch stores. Many of the building facades are painted with frescoes and the cobblestone streets lend such charm.

I visited the Lion Monument in the afternoon and again around midnight (it is open 24 hrs). The two visits were entirely different experiences (see photos)—both very moving; however, my time there at midnight after all of the day tourists had gone was really powerful and evoked a lot of emotion. For nearly 20 minutes at midnight, I was the only person there.

I enjoyed a late dinner at the Hotel des Alpes’ restaurant. I sat outside next to the river where swans and ducks floated by and the lights of the Chapel Bridge provided a spectacular backdrop. The food and wine were delicious and the service top notch.

I retired to my room after my midnight visit to the Lion Monument and slept soundly in my lovely room—Swiss linens are simply the best!

*I’m not sure why my photos aren’t attaching to the post. They are less than 1MB and I tried adding each one separately without success. Any suggestions?!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2019 at 4:03:24 #923325

Hello Swatchme,

Thanks a million for your trip report, part 1, I assume!

Lovely to hear you felt well here in Switzerland and enjoyed that travelling by train can be so incredibly easy here!

The photos didn’t attach, however, I don’t know what’s the technical reason for this.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading about the 12 following days.. 🙂

Take care and kind regards,
    Steph

Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    8 October 2019 at 4:50:03 #923326

Hello Steph,

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, indeed, my post was just the very beginning of my trip. It was SO AMAZING and I have thousands of fantastic photos…only trouble is I can’t seem to figure out how to get them from my iPhone to my HP laptop (Apple and Windows don’t play well together apparently) and I can’t seem to attach them directly from my phone to the forum. I’ll keep trying and eventually, I shall get to the remainder of my trip report!

Suffice it to say, I am completely blown away by the sheer beauty everywhere in Switzerland. I feel like I was living in a dream and I simply cannot wait to return again.

Thanks again. This forum is INCREDIBLE.

Felicia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2019 at 9:16:31 #923327

Hello Felicia,

The attachments are there this time, thanks a lot!!! Wonderful atmosphere you caught .. 🙂

Lovely to hear you were, or are, so amazed by the country and also the assistance received on the forum!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Steph 🙂

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    8 October 2019 at 20:08:48 #923328

I too have an Apple Iphone and a computer at home running Windows (10).

It’s quite easy to set up the process but takes a little time and can be a little convoluted.

My suggestion is to contact Apple support (the number for your area will be on their web site but can be tricky to find). You should get through quickly and you will most likely speak with a helpful USA-based technician who will guide you through the setting up process.

You will need to have your internet connection up and running and you’ll be asked for some technical information about your Iphone (and how to find it).

Good luck (you should only need to do this once).

Paul in Australia.

Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    22 October 2019 at 23:43:47 #923329

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your very thoughtful and informative reply! I really appreciate it. I’ve been away from the forum since my original post upon my return from Switzerland–haha I have 13 more days to cover!!

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2019 at 5:09:29 #923330

Hello Swatchme,

Welcome back to MySwissAlps!

Thanks for taking the time to write, and post a wonderful travel report and photos of Switzerland. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the part where you went to see the Lion Monument twice; once in the day, and the second time just before midnight. It’s certainly beautiful and evokes so many different emotions each time I make a visit.

I look forward to reading the rest of your travel reports to come. Thank you again!

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Trip report 14 days solo travel, Zurich & Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.