About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Trip report April/May Montreux & Jungfrauregion
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Trip report April/May Montreux & Jungfrauregion

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
smnaren
smnaren
13 posts
May 26, 2019 - 6:01 PM

Myself Naren from Bangalore,India.we are couple with 2 kids (aged 12 and aged 9).I was planning for trip to Switzerland during Apr 2018 but due to some inevitable reason, I could not plan for the same. But I planned for this April 2019 along with Italy and Paris.

Below are my previous posts:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-advice-needed-6-days-trip-to-swiss

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/rotenboden-riffelberg-trek-with-family

Thanks to rockoyster,Lucas,Arno, Annika for providing all clarifications. This really helps in planning my trip meticulously.

Day - 1: Reaching Luzern, Bern

Reached Luzern from Milan in train.

After hotel (nearby station) checkin, Left for Bern. Took bus to Rose Garden, walk down to the Bear pits. Visited Einstein House, Zytglogge and also famous fountain Kindlifresserbrunnen. It was rainy and windy day.Returned back to Luzern.

Day - 2 - Day trip to Titlis

Woke up with slight drizzle and cloudy day. Had early breakfast.

Got the tickets to Titlis in Luzern Train station (first floor ticketing office), Left for Engelberg. It was very scenic journey and started Snowfall when we reached engelberg.we walked down to TitlisBahn and took the cable car.In Titlis, it was snowing heavily and unable to reach Ice Flyer. After clicking pictures and playing in snow. We came down to Trubsee, Lake is fully frozen and played in snow. Kids enjoyed Snow Tubing and sledge and return to luzern. Took lake cruise to Fluelen, it was fantastic ride all along the lake.

Day - 3 - Glacier Express, Zurich

Took the train to Andermatt and took glacier express to chur along oberlap pass. Took train to Zurich from Chur. Walk from Zurich station to Lake Zurich across old town and back in Tram. Back in Luzern

Day - 4 - Travel to Lauterbrunnen, Schiltorn

Took the panoramic train to Interlaken OST and reached Lauterbrunnen in another train.Checked in hotel and went to Schilthorn.It was nice sunny day and good view from schilthorn. While coming down, tried Birg Cliff walk and also checked out in Murren.

Day - 5 Zermatt & Montreux

From weather reports, since it was going to Sunny bright day, leave early for Zermat and went to Gronergrat. Got Magnificent view of Matternhorn. I was planning for Lake Rifelsee trek but it was fully frozen and roads from Rotenbonden stations are closed. we changed plan to go to Montreux, on reaching Montreux, took bus to Chillion castle and walk down Montreux riviera. back to lauterbrunnen in train.

Day - 6 Jungfroach & Grindelwald.

Took ticket from Lauterbrunnen Station for wengen -> Klienschedogg -> Jungfroach -> Klienschedogg -> Grindelwald.

We stopped in Wengen, strolled around it and got some great scenic view. It was also bright sunny day, had great views from Jungfroach.it was amazing to see the view of Italian side of Alps. then we took train to Grindelwald, it was another beautiful place, we walk down to first Bahn and took cable car to Grindelwald First. It was also covered with Snow everywhere. Tried the Tissot cliff walk, it was nice to see breathtaking views. we went to Interlaken west and roam around there and back to lauterbrunnen

Day - 7 Lauterbrunnen to Paris

Took train to Basel and traveled in TGV to Paris.

SWISS Travel Pass:

This is a must and will help us to travel in any public transport in Switzerland seamlessly (Train, cable car, Cruise, Tram, Bus). I took 8 day Swiss Pass which will be free for kids as a Family card. I bought it online from SBB site. Another important is SBB Mobile app, this is most useful and will provide all ways to reach your destination from current location.

Mobile:

Since i was traveling across Italy, Switzerland and Paris, i took Matrix international SIM from India which workout to be cheaper.The connectivity was excellent in Switzerland, Please SWISSCOM as operator in manual mode.

Currency:

Swiss Franc is currency used, you can exchange to get CHF in all SBB stations (Zurich. Luzern) or withdraw from any ATM. I took Matrix Multi currency Forex card.

Some Tips/Must Try:

- Many people mentioned about the Coop and Migros for getting some food items/Drink. Someone suggested me about Denner, its comparatively having better prices. One is available opposite to Interlaken west station

- Water - All hotels suggested that water from tap is potable, Hence carry some water bottle so that you can refill it in your room. You can also found fountains in Bern, Zurich, Lauterbrunnen where we can refill it. No need to spend on Mineral water.

- Must try Rivella - Soft drink from lactose which aerated and nice taste. Available in Original, lite and some mint flavor as well.

- Try Choclate Yogurt, Hot Chocolate drink.

- Restrooms - In every tourist spots and train stations, restrooms are available. Not like other country where we need to pay.

- People are very friendly and helpful. This is one of very safe place to travel with family.

Overall we had great vacation, out of 3 countries in my trip, my kids loved switzerland and enjoyed every moment.

Attachments
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7567 posts
expert
May 27, 2019 - 2:10 AM in reply to smnaren

Thanks - Naren.

Good tips.

Others may note that late April at high altitudes has plenty of snow and cold weather. ;-(

Slowpoke

Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
May 27, 2019 - 5:10 AM in reply to smnaren

Hello Narren,

Thanks a million for sharing your experience and input with everyone here on the forum and thank you too for your appreciation.

Hope to see you back in Switzerland sometime.

Best regards to the whole family.

Steph

smnaren
smnaren
13 posts
May 27, 2019 - 5:51 PM

Thanks Slowpoke, Steph, Its my pleasure to share my experience. I am sure someone will find it helpful.

I would like to share one more incident,

On Day 2, I planned to go early to titlis and planning to take train IR 2962 to Engelberg - 8:10 am at platform 13. I planned to take the ticket from Luzern station as it would be crowded in Titlis Bahn. Since my younger had delayed her breakfast, i need to rush up to Luzern station. its almost 8:00 am and looked for Ticketing office at first floor, got the token it was almost 8;05am, i got the ticket and paid through card and ran catch the train.

On reaching Engelberg, thought of getting Hot chocolate from vending machine,. When i opened my wallet, my credit card was missing. :( (In all places in Switzerland, we need to operate the Creditcard machine , need to insert card and type pin). I am sure that i missed in Luzern station. I seek help from ticketing officer in Engelberg station. I gave her my credit card details and she called and tried to connect to Ticketing office in Luzern station. She assured that she will inform them as me to go to Titlis. I was little disturbed that i need card as my half of trip is only covered. While returning from titlis, i asked her that she conveyed that she information Luzern station and but didnt get any update. I took next train to luzern, i went to same counter. Ticketing officer returned me my card safely and mentioned that she noticed that i left the card, she took it and kept is safely.

If i had missed in Paris/Rome, i am not sure i would have got my card or not. But People in switzerland are very helpful and very friendly. This is safest country to travel.

Thanks to SBB officers. I had become fan of SBB and got the Mondaine SBB CFF official swiss railway watch.

Regards

Naren

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7567 posts
expert
May 27, 2019 - 6:20 PM in reply to smnaren

Hi Naren-

<<"Thanks Slowpoke, Steph, Its my pleasure to share my experience. I am sure someone will find it helpful.">>

You have outlined many of the things the Swiss do to make travel easier.

<<" Restrooms - In every tourist spots and train stations, restrooms are available. Not like other country where we need to pay.">>

I will comment, however, that in the big city railroad stations, you do have to pay to use the toilets.... the McClean facilities are very very clean, and, for me are worth the annoyance of having to pay. And, at many country stations in small villages, where the stations re no longer manned, the toilets are now closed because of vandalism.

I took a look at your images, and enjoyed all of them for composition and the way they capture the feeling of the environment.

Thinking back to my first trips to Switzerland in 1980, I recall how images like 4241 surprised and puzzled me....how do you get to those villages?

I like the composition of #6058.....it is difficult to get a well-composed picture of the Staubach Falls. My favorite is #5480, because it is a good composition and reveals the beauty of the lakes surrounded by mountains.

You story about your credit card does not surprise me. Nice, isn't it. Once I left my Spazierstock (hiking staff) on a lake boat. I spoke to a clerk at Flüelen or Brienz, and the hiking staff arrived on the first boat the next morning.

Slowpoke

Last modified on May 27, 2019 - 6:46 PM by Slowpoke
smnaren
smnaren
13 posts
May 28, 2019 - 5:09 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks Slowpoke for your comments on my images. I am glad you liked it. :-)

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022