Trip report Sept 2018, day 10-Locarno

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 22:58:47 #819766

It was warm and sunny again this morning when we checked out of our hotel and began the Gotthard Panorama Express journey to Locarno. I knew it would be even warmer in Locarno so was hoping our hotel’s air-conditioning worked well.

The second half of the paddle-steamer ride to Fluelen was absolutely beautiful, and for me the best part of the trip. The train ride was a bit of a let-down. Apart from a brief sighting of snow on a mountain early on, there were just a lot of trees. I admit I’ve been spoiled by having done the Bernina Express, the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass to Montreux in 2013, and this trip didn’t compare.

Our hotel in Locarno was on the waterfront with a lovely view of the lake – The Millenium Hotel. When we arrived they said they’d been having a heat-wave in Locarno but the air-conditioning in the room should help. It was at this hotel that we discovered that a hotel just saying on their website that they have air-con isn’t enough. It also has to be efficient air-con which is something you don’t find out until you get there!

I adjusted the controls and it finally cooled the room a bit. But I think that over the three nights we were there it probably never got below about 26 degrees in that room. It was a very old system and should be replaced with a newer one if they keep advertising air-con as a feature.

Day 11: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-day-11-locarno

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 February 2019 at 4:25:59 #903461

We did the Gotthard in the other direction but your comments pretty well sum up my view. Boat trip fabulous. Train ride , meh. Although having said that the commentary was interesting.

We had a similar experience in Lugano with air-con. Something was wring with the main compressor. It got fixed the day before we left. Got 1 cool night out of 5. 😎

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 February 2019 at 5:04:51 #903462

Yes, it’s so frustrating when you’re expecting air-con and it doesn’t work. We had problems in Bavaria where they were still having a heatwave in October. One hotel turned the air-con off at 10pm as they said the neighbours complained about the noise! And another one admitted it was unusually hot for October but wouldn’t turn the master switch for the air-con back on as it had already been turned off for winter…grrr

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    5 February 2019 at 6:18:21 #903463

G’day Rockoyster,

We were looking at Gotthard PE from Lugano to Lucerne, but it seems the trip is not real scenic.

Is there another option from Lugano to Fluelen as we’d still like the paddle steamer to Lucerne and also save CHF 46 on seat reservation.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    5 February 2019 at 6:44:41 #903464

Rockoyster may not get a notification as it’s not his post. You can just do the faster route through the new tunnel.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2019 at 6:44:56 #903465

Yes there is another option but it involves the 57Km Gotthard Base Tunnel. Not a lot of scenery underground. 😉 Just delete via Göschenen from the timetable search.

The Gotthard PE route is not the most scenic route in Switzerland but that is a relative thing given that almost every train trip in Switzerland is scenic in one way or another. Don’t forget in Judy’s comments she is comparing it to 3 other major scenic routes. My comments are based on having already done the Glacier and Bernina Express trips. After a while you just can’t help getting a little blasé. Don’t miss the boat trip.

If I had the choice of the base tunnel or the old tunnel route I would definately go for the latter unless I was in a tearing hurry.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2019 at 6:50:02 #903466

Hey Judy, Is you forum profile picture taken from the steamer heading to Flüelen?

ps You get notified of any comments on any threads that you have participated in.

See flic.kr/p/WsVEoe

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    5 February 2019 at 7:36:19 #903467

Yes, it is. OK, I didn’t know that.

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 10-Locarno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.