Trip report Sept 2018, day 14-Matterhorn

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 February 2019 at 1:25:45 #819770

I had hoped that we might get a day good enough for the Matterhorn while we were in Thun. Today was so perfect that I didn’t want to take a chance of waiting for another day of good weather. So even though a low key day would have been nice after yesterday’s travelling, we set off early for Zermatt.

As we’d missed the Lotschberger yesterday, we took it today, even though it made the day longer. Then we changed at Brig for the train to Zermatt. The scenery as we came closer to Zermatt was wonderful, but nothing compared to the scenery from the Gornergrat train up to see the Matterhorn.

The views of the glaciers and the Matterhorn once you get up the top are amazing. We caught the train down and got off at Riffelsee to take photos of the mountain reflected in the lake. It made for a long day after we finally arrived back in Thun but it was well worth it.

Day 15: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-day-15-thun

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    8 February 2019 at 10:11:53 #903469

Wow, that is a brilliant view, how lucky you were with the weather.

I just can’t do fast paced travel, but we might also include a day trip to Zermatt from Thun too, good to know it is workable.

I really want to visit the Ticino but somehow even with a month trip coming up, I couldn’t fit it in. Last trip was 18 days (in 2017), not nearly enough.

True, very expensive from Australia, but, totally worth it. My trip to Germany last September did look positively cheap compared to our Swiss trip the year before, though (€40 for a single room, €15 for a nice dinner!)

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    8 February 2019 at 11:50:16 #903470

Hi Adelaidean

Yes, we were exceptionally lucky with the weather.

I don’t like fast-paced travel either, but every now and then I think it’s worth it. The trouble with having STPs is that I felt like we should be catching a lot of trains to get our money’s worth.

The Ticino part of our trip was nice, though hot, but I did think maybe I would have preferred to spend more time in the high Swiss mountain areas, mainly because I love that kind of snow-covered scenery.

Yes, when we were in Germany for the last part of our trip we finally started eating out at restaurants as they were so cheap compared to Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 14-Matterhorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.