Trip to Geneva, Chur, Lenzburg – help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2015 at 3:13:12 #807456

Hi, I’m planning a 10 day trip to Switzerland and trying to determine whether I should get a Swiss Travel Pass or a Half Price Card. I’m arriving in Geneva on 11 July, and plan to take day trips to Lausanne and Montreux. On either 14 or 15 July, I plan to take the Glacier Express to Chur, and then spend some time in two small villages in the region. On 17 July, I travel from Chur to Lenzburg, where I expect to take small day trips. Finally, I head to Zurich to catch a flight on 20 July. When I priced out the main train tickets, it came to about 320CHF and it seemed that the Half Fare Card would be a better deal, because I otherwise need to get an 8 day Flex or even a 15 day consecutive(!). Am i thinking about this correctly? I didn’t factor in the costs of buses, but figure they are pretty negligible.

One more question – can someone recommend whether the belle epoque steamers are worth the trip on Lake Geneva?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 June 2015 at 10:09:12 #843993

Hi debg13, and thank you for joining MySwissAlps!

Looking at the main trips only, a Swiss Half Fare Card would indeed be the cheapest option. But it also depends on the further day trips you intend to make. For example: a boat trip over Lake Geneva can be pretty expensive, and it would be entirely covered by a Swiss Travel Pass. Such additional trips could change the outcome. Note that you don’t necessarily need 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. An 8 day variant with additional tickets for July 11 and July 20 (the trip Lenzburg-Zurich is short and inexpensive) might work as well.

You could make calculations based on as many details as possible (inluciding additional day trips and urban transportation) as explained here, in order to compare the options, and also consider convenience (buying 50% discounted ticket for all trips versus free traveling).

I hope this helps you decide!

• The thread ‘Trip to Geneva, Chur, Lenzburg – help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.