Trip to Gornergrat and Matterhorn glacier paradise

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2015 at 9:00:02 #807572

I would like to visit both Gornergrat and Matterhorn glacier paradise as one-day-trip in 8 September from Zermatt.

1. Where should I plan to go in the morning between those 2 places? Or no different at all so that I might plan to visit Matterhorn glacier paradise in the morning and Gornergrat in the afternoon since the ticket price of Gornergrat is cheaper in the afternoon.
    2. Do I have to concern about the weather if I would like to go to Matterhorn glacier paradise?
    3. Are there any interesting activities for Matterhorn glacier paradise?
    4. How long should I take time for each place?
    5. Do I need to buy ticket if I already have swiss pass?

Thank you. Hope to hear from you all soon.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Apollo117
    Participant
    1 post
    17 July 2015 at 22:38:42 #844547

Arriving in Zermatt we suggest you take the train to the top of Gornergrat, from which you can access the glacier on foot, as well as have available the fine mountain-top facilities, restaurants, stores, certainly the views. You will pick up a great views of the Matterhorn. We don’t know about differences in ticket prices, and point out that if this is a once-in-a-lifetime visit for you, don’t let prices affect your decisions, the differences can’t be that much.

Weather – as always need to be concerned, but in September it will be just fine most likely. We were last there in October, and it was great. Be prepared for thin air, and have a lot of water and aspirin available. Wear hiking shoes with good treads.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 July 2015 at 8:44:37 #844548

Hi honeylemon,

You will get a 50% discount on the tickets. Please see here for what’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass.

Information about activities can be found here:

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 July 2015 at 9:08:48 #844549

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Apollo117!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2015 at 19:41:50 #844550

Which will be the best option Half price swiss card or swiss pass or the rail pass if the itinerary is for 3 days only going from zurich to zermatt and then visiting Matterhorn and Gorengrat and for the remaining time just do some local sight seeing or anything else you could recommend

Rahul

Arno
    15482 posts
    19 July 2015 at 11:17:03 #844551

Hi Rahul,

The best option is such a case is the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. It includes the ride from the airport to Zermatt and back for free. And you get a 50% discount on cable cars during your stay. I saw you live in the UK, so in that case you can order one from http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk and get it delivered for free. Further information is available from myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

• The thread ‘Trip to Gornergrat and Matterhorn glacier paradise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.