Trip to Switzerland – August 2010

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2010 at 12:15:58 #803873

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can help with a bit of advice on a forthcoming trip to Switzerland……
    I will be visiting Switzerland for approx 6-7 days with my husband & 3 children (all under 12). We will be driving from England & camping at Visp for a few days then onto Interlaken. We would like to take in a few of the scenic rail journeys e.g the glacier express & was wondering if it would be worth our while purchasing any of the Swiss Travel Passes or just buying the tickets at full value.

Also, some suggestions on good campsites would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lisa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 June 2010 at 14:49:07 #831441

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the forum! If you plan to to make a few train journeys only, it would be too expensive to purchase a Swiss Pass or another pass allowing unlimited travel. A Swiss Half Fare Card may be a good option: it allows a 50% discount on most train journeys, including scenic routes such as the Glacier Express. On the Swiss Half Fare Card page, please review the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid’. This will show a detailed map indicating the validity of the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that for the Glacier Express, and other panoramic trains, a seat reservation fee has to be paid. This is also the case if you have a valid rail pass.

If the amount of train journeys you plan to make is very limited, you might even be best off with regular point to point tickets. Which solution is best, ultimately depends on your exact travel plans. You can try to calculate the costs of the plans you have in mind and find out if a rail pass fits your need. For further tips, please follow the instructions in our rail FAQ.

I don’t have personal experience with camp sites near Visp or Interlaken. The Swiss Camps website may help you out here. This detailed overview of campsites in the Bernese Oberland, including some near Interlaken, can be useful as well.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2010 at 19:59:11 #831442

Hi Lisa, friends of ours regularly use campsite at Manor Farm (3km from Interlaken West) and are happy with facilities there. They take their caravan there so have a car and are not dependent on buses, There is a half-hourly bus which runs between Interlaken and Thun which stops by campsite but last bus to Thun leaves Interlaken West at about 19.15. There may be a later more local bus that will take you almost to campsite but I am not sure. check website at http://www.stibus.ch or [email protected]. I hope you enjoy your stay. Maggie

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    17 June 2010 at 17:21:46 #831443

If you want to take many rail trips at all (particularly those to the higher mountain areas which you should do — after all, you will be in Switzerland!) you will definitely want to buy a rail pass of some sort. Train travel in Switzerland is very expensive, point to point tickets can be prohibitively so. I would recommend the Swiss Half Fare Card previously mentioned. For 99 Swiss francs for each adult, you get 50% off of everything and all your children under 15 travel free with their one or more of their parents. This is a very good deal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2010 at 8:20:31 #831444

Hi Everyone,
    Thank you so much for all the advice. It has certainly helped plan our trip, especially the recommendations on what Travel Pass to buy.
    I do have another question though….can anyone suggest a relatively easy hike/walk we can do as a family, preferably near(ish) to Grindewald. Bearing in mind that our daughter is only 4 years old, although a very active & mischievous 4 year old !!!:-) the boys are no problem, they are both used to lots of outdoor activities & are very fit.
    Thanks once again
    Lisa x

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    22 June 2010 at 8:57:52 #831445

Hi Lisa:

Lots of easy hikes in the general area, to name just a few:
    1. Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg
    2. Grutschalp to Murren
    3. The Planetenweg along Lake Brienz
    4. The Nature and Bahn trail between Zweilütschinen and Wilderswil

Tourist office in Grindelwald or any of the other villages will have additional suggestions.

I have a 30+ page document describing these and other hikes, transport tips, etc. Happy to send it to you but need your email address. If you would like a copy please send your address to me via this web site’s private message feature.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 June 2010 at 11:02:13 #831446

Hi Lisa! The hikes Kim mentioned are very suitable for little children! Some other options are:

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland – August 2010’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.