Trip with infant -Advice needed on Swiss itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 22:14:31 #815410

Hello experts,

We’ll(my wife, my 2 year old daughter and myself) be reaching Geneva on 18/05/2018 and have planned for the following so far. However, I have some specific questions and need some expert advise on what I’ve planned.

Day 0 – Local sighseeing of Geneva and afternoon train takes us to Martigny.

Day 1 – We’ve chosen to go for 2 adult Swiss pass for 3 days starting day 2. We’ll use it on Mont-Blanc express to reach Chamonix. We’ll take the cable ride to Auguille du Midi and travel back from Chamonix to Martigny. In the evening, we’ll board train to Interlaken and stay overnight.

Questions: a) Is Auguille du Midi cable car rides are discounted with Swiss pass? b) Will Auguille du Midi be safe for my infant daughter, specially when elevation of the peak is close to 3800m. c) Can seats in trains taking us to Interlaken need to be reserved with Swiss pass?

Day 2 – We’ll start from Interlaken to Mt. Schilthorn via Lauterbrunnen- Stechelberg-Grimmelwald-Murren and descend via Murren-Grütschalp-Lauterbrunnen. In the evening, we’ll travel further to Zurich.

Question: a) is this whole trip to Mt. Schilthorn via planned route is covered in Swiss pass? b) How much time is required for the whole trip starting and ending at Interlaken OST (ascending Mt. Schilthorn) if we choose to spend approximately 1-2 hours at the peak?

Day 3 – Local sightseeing in Zurich and in the evening we’ll leave for Vienna for overnight train travel.

Please suggest if the plan looks a little too stretched(specially when we’re travelling with a child so young). Additionally, do we need to get additional tickets/reserve seats with Swiss pass when we travel Mont Blanc express or Martigny to Interlaken or Interlaken to Zurich or can we just board any train taking us to there and show the pass wherever/whenever needed?

Thanks,

Roy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 7:13:59 #882630

Hi Roy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Day 1

A. No it isn’t, but the trip from Martigny to Mont Blanc is: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

B. Check with your doctor – it comes down to your child’s overall health and how long you stay up there for. Typically by 2 years old they are fine but always consult your doctor.

C. No reservations needed

Day 2

A. Yes

B. You can check the train duration/schedules for any trip on the timetable here.

Day 3

Any train works. Here are some ideas on what to do in Zurich & here is where you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online (to print at home). I’d be tempted to buy the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass instead of 3…might be worth it just for convenience on Day 1 (covers local transit in Geneva plus the trip to Martigny.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 21:46:35 #882631

Thank you very much Lucas.

I just compared the ticket prices and difference of 4 days Swiss pass to 3. Not much of difference and choosing Swiss pass will also allow me to catch any train to Martigny. Therefore, it makes sense to go for 4 days of pass, thank you for the suggestion.

However, I had a look at this website http://www.geneva.info/transp ort/card/ and it shows me while staying in a hotel, public transport in Geneva is free with this card. Is that reliable and if it is, will it only be me who will be entitled to get the card?

The website also says Geneva airport issues a 80 min free travel card for travelers arriving to Geneva. Is that true as well? We may be able to use it as well on the day we fly in Geneva.

On travel from Martigny to Chamonix by Mont Blanc express, just found it’s free with Swiss pass.

Thanks, Roy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:08:12 #882632

Hi Roy,

Check with the hotel you stay at to ensure they offer it (I don’t think all do). As for the free transit card from the airport…I haven’t heard of it but I haven’t been to Geneva in many years (nor ever to the airport) but if it isn’t true anymore it is quite cheap to get downtown from the airport.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:12:38 #882633

You can get an 80-minute travel card for Geneva at the baggage collection in the airport. I’ve read that on another thread just recently. I think it was the 4-5 page thread on getting a cab from the airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:27:57 #882634

Ah there you go. I got lost on that thread a couple weeks ago! haha.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:02:58 #882635

I had the wrong thread. I actually read it at http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/geneva. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:18:38 #882636

Nice! Thank you both Lucas and Rockoyster. 80 minutes Unireso transport ticket is a reality then.

I’ll speak to the hotel and try to get the information on free public transport in Geneva. Else, like Lucas has suggested, 4 days of Swiss consecutive day pass is exactly what I’ll be opting for.

• The thread ‘Trip with infant -Advice needed on Swiss itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.