Understanding benefits of using Eurail Select Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 15:50:17 #814322

Hi All,

I have been through so many forums here and at eurorail but I am still confused as to which pass should I be using?

My husband and I plan to travel to for 10 days to Paris, Switzerland and Austria. We are planning to get a Eurorail Select Pass for this, but we are not able to understand how the EuroRail Select Pass works in Switzerland.

In Swisterland we wish to go to Geneva, Bern , Lucerne, Zurich , jungfraujoch, Mt. Titlis and stay for 5 days, not sure how we will manage this.

So back to the question If I get the EuroRail Select Pass will the pass help me in internal Switzerland Travel & in the mountain trains or not?

I actually found two confusing links hence the repetitive question.

http://www.myswissalps.com/do cs/default-source/raildoc/myswiss alps-rail-pass-overview.pdf?sfvrsn=26

http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 16:01:51 #876095

Hi ssinroja,

The 1st link compares the Eurail Pass to other Swiss rail passes and notes that it is best for longer city to city trips within Switzerland (it doesn’t get too many mountain discounts for example).

The 2nd link gives you specifics about the Eurail Select Pass. The PDF map shows the routes you can travel on for free. The list below the PDF link show the top attractions in Switzerland and whether they are fully or partially (or not at all) covered by the Eurail Select Pass.

So travel between the towns you mention are free. You’ll get 25% off the ticket from Engelberg to the top of Mt.Titlis and 25% off the ticket from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch (as examples).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 16:21:51 #876096

Hello Luckas,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply! Helps me a lot to identify the cost! Thanks! Also request you to please help me plan the places of my interest in Switzerland as mentioned above post, we will be traveling in April so I am not sure if all the places will be open or we will have to cut out on a few?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 18:39:00 #876097

What is your main focus for the trip? Is it mountains and landscapes? If so I would cut out Geneva and Zurich entirely. They are also at opposite ends of the country so it makes your trips easier as well.

For 5 days I would do 1 in Bern, 2 in Lucerne and 2 closer to the Jungfraujoch (Lauterbrunnen or Wengen for example). If the outdoors aren’t you entire focus let us know.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out all your trips. Check out this thread on mtn closures for April and May.

• The thread ‘Understanding benefits of using Eurail Select Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.