How to buy Swiss transfer ticket Zurich to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2015 at 16:08:19 #808152

Hi everyone!

I am planning to buy the Swiss transfer ticket which I can travel from Zurich main station to Zermatt, and from Zermatt to Zurich airport.I would like to complete both journeys on the same day.

When I try to purchase the Swiss transfer ticket online: http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/holidays–short-breaks-in-switzerland/swisstrave lsystem/swiss-transfer.html, it does not allow me to put the same date for the outbound and return journey.

I understand that the ticket is valid for 30 days, and the journey must take place either on the first or the last valid day of the ticket.

Does it mean that I can travel on the same day? If I am planning to travel to Zermitt on 29 Nov (this Sunday), should I set the date of the outbound journey as 29 Nov, and the return journey as 30 Nov?

Many thanks!

Anna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    26 November 2015 at 16:41:47 #847096

Hi Anna, welcome to MySwissAlps!

It’s not common to use the inbound and outbound trip on the same day, but I’m pretty sure it’s allowed. Most websites only ask for the first travel day, and let you choose the return day later. I would recommend to buy it through one of the websites listed here.

There’s another issue though. I’m afraid it’s too late to buy a ticket for the coming weekend. Swiss Transfer Tickets are either shipped physically or e-mailed, but even then order processing takes a few days. So you can have a look at the recommended websites, but I think it’s too late and you’d better buy a regular ticket once you’re there. There might be one other option: you can try to get a Supersaver ticket, but please note that these are for specific trains only, so you can’t miss the train. Please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2015 at 19:57:31 #847097

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I understand that you recommend to buy the Transfer Ticket through those websites you have kindly posted a link in your reply.

However, I also find that we can purchase from the main SBB website. (i.e. the link I posed in my first post). When I go through all the steps to purchase the transfer ticket, it doesn’t say that I am too late to buy the ticket. What I mean is that I can still put down my outbound date as this coming Sunday, and go to the last page of inserting my credit card details. If the order cannot be proceeded in time, would it inform the customers? Does it work differently from other train tickets, since for other train tickets once we purchase it online the electronic copy will just come through by email?

Many thanks again!

Kind regards,Anna

Arno
    15481 posts
    27 November 2015 at 6:56:44 #847098

Hi Anna,

The websites we have listed are geared to tourists, while the main SBB site is focused on Swiss people. They do indeed offer tourist passes too, but I don’t know about the details you’re asking for regarding order processing. The official tourist site of the SBB for the UK is http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk, which is listed on our page too.

Although the main SBB site does allow you to fill out a date for next weekend, I am not sure what happens next, i.e. if they really e-mail the ticket in time. And since they don’t allow the inbound and outbound date to be the same, it would not work in your case. Of course you can give it a try. If it does not work, the Supersaver ticket could be an alternative to you. Al least for the way back, since catching a specific train would not be problematic.

I hope this helps!

• The thread ‘How to buy Swiss transfer ticket Zurich to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.