Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Posts: 4
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
25 posts
new member
Jun 7, 2012 - 10:47 PM
I've read a little about the requirements to have a "Vignette" to drive on some of the highways in Switzerland. We are renting a car in Marseille, driving through the Cote d'Azur, Italy, Mont Blanc Tunnel to Chamonix and then down to Martigny, and on into touring Switzerland for a week. So - where and how do I buy one of these "Vignettes", which I assume I'll need at some point?

Thank you,
Steve in California
469 posts
top member
Jun 8, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Hello Steve,

Information about how to obtain your Autobahnvignette can be found here.

Have a nice trip,
25 posts
new member
Jun 9, 2012 - 12:08 PM
Thank you Olga, I should have known to check your site first! So just one question for a little more detail if you don't mind: We leave California in less than a week now, so no time to order now (should have included it when I ordered my Swiss Half Fare passes). The website says I can buy it at the border for about US$41. So when I drive into Switzerland from Chamonix-Mt. Blanc (France Rt. D1506 to Swiss Route 203) en route to Martigny, will there be a border station where I have to stop, show passport, etc - and have the possibility to buy the vignette there? According to the map of motorways where it will be needed, I will need it if I take Rt. 9 on from Martigny to Visp (heading to Tasch/Zermatt). But on my map of Switzerland I was planning to drive on E62, which looks like a freeway (or multi-lane expressway) and doesn't require the vignette. Is that a toll road? Anyway, I will need it for the routes I plan to drive from Luzern to Innsbruck.
Thank you for your advice,
55 posts
active member
Jun 9, 2012 - 4:35 PM
no, it's a partly un-manned border post. If it is manned then you should be able to get a vignette but otherwise you need to stop at the first petrol station and they'll sell you one. As, generally, will a few on the French side of the border.

I don't really recognise those road numbers. The autoroute from Martigny to Visp is an autoroute (the A9) to Sierre and you must have a vignette. There's no toll roads in Switzerland, either it's autoroute which needs a vignette or it's not.

More on

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Sign up

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

© 2002-2018