Visit to Aletsch Glacier in June to hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 13:39:05 #812100

Dear All,

I am travelling from India to Switzerland in the week of 27th June and have heard some awesome stuff about Aletsch Glacier and would like to visit. Had the following query:

a) Will the trail or part of it be open during 27th June. If partial- then what all view points will be open for

b) I am not an avid hiker, however would like to explore few points while hiking- can someone suggest basic hiking trails in that region

c) I am currently thinking of doing a day trip to Aletsch from Montreux- Aletsch- Zurich. Can someone suggest the best route to make this happen. Does this sound doable? I am flexible on this and can do Thun-Aletsch- Zurich as well. Suggestions are welcome

Would love to hear from co-travellers

PA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:11:57 #864385

Thanks for your post PA!

a) I expect at least some trails to be open, probably even all of them. But it’s too early to tell.

b) You could do part of this route, and end at Hohfluh for the gondola back down. The local tourist office and gondola station will have more suggestions and they also know about the trail conditions.

c) It’s less traveling time from Thun. You’ll find details in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 16:10:07 #864386

Hello!

I am planning on doing this trail on 15th June with my partner for his birthday, I’m hoping it will be open? Is there anyway I can find out for sure?

Also, we may stay overnight, can anyone recommend some modest accommodation??

Many thanks!

Chloe x

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 June 2017 at 22:49:11 #864387

Hi Chloe-

Normally, we request that new questions start a new thread. However, here are a few comments, since your question is related.

<<“I am planning on doing this trail on 15th June with my partner for his birthday, I’m hoping it will be open? Is there anyway I can find out for sure?”>>

Only for sure if you consult and command whomever controls the weather. ;-(

At high altitudes, June can still be late Winter, with closed trails. Or, by June 15th, the trail may be open, but ( as happened to my grandson and me at Männlichen on June 15th 2015) the trails may be open and the weather may have so many clouds and fog that there are no views to make it worthwhile.

However, there may well be webcams that are relevant, and local tourist offices can help.

I am not sure which tourist office that might be. Maybe in Brig? Perhaps Arno or Annika can suggest a specific tourist office.

en.swisswebcams.ch/kat egorien

A map is useful:

map.search.ch/?pos=651304,139752&z=32

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 9:02:37 #864388

Brig tourism should be your best bet. Also the town of Brig is a good option to stay nearby (the biggest town, but not the closest). We have more information about Brig, and hotels there, here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Visit to Aletsch Glacier in June to hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.