Visit to Switzerland trip planning help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 16:24:37 #811239

We would like to visit Switzerland during this summer July 2017. We are couple with 2 kids ( 13 years and 9 years ). This is the first time to visit. Please suggest best places to visit in Switzerland. I would like to book hotel and train pass. First we will be visiting Paris Disneyland. I have no idea about booking hotels and trains. We are planning for 4 to 5 nights in Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 17:09:44 #860836

Hi dsmegmel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We can’t suggest the best options for you to see in Switzerland until we know what you are hoping to see and do while you are here. What makes you want to come to Switzerland?

Have a read through our “what to do in Switzerland” page to get an idea if you don’t have a specific area/attraction you want to see.

If you want to make trips up into the Alps, have a read through our Bernese Oberland Page for a lot of towns and activities you could plan on seeing and visiting as that region is perhaps the most popular for tourists.

You can research and book hotels on our site. We recommend hotels for each major town/village in Switzerland. You can find the town information pages in the link here.

Also, read more about the Swiss rail passes here. You may be most interested in the Swiss Travel Pass for you and your partner and then you can add-on the Swiss Family Card (free) that covers your children for all trips as well.

I hope that gets you started on your trip planning! Let us know if you have more questions or concerns!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 17:41:00 #860837

Thanks Mr Lucas. Following places I would like to visit Interlaken, Jungfraujoch, Lucerne, Mt Titlis, Rhine falls, chocolate factory.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 18:56:07 #860838

Is it possible to stay at Hotel in Zurich and explore above places.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 8:34:31 #860839

Hi dsmegmel,

No, Zurich wouldn’t be very convenient to visit most of those places (other than the RheinFalls). If you want to base yourself in one town I would choose Luzern (local German spelling).

You can search for the train schedules to and from Luzern (or other towns) on the timetable page here.
    Mt. Titlis is easy to reach from Luzern, Jungfraujoch isn’t too far and can be done as a long day trip from Luzern. Interlaken is a nice, easy train trip from Luzern (this could also be your base town). Finally you can reach the Cailler chocolate factory from Montreux, which can be reached by the Golden Pass panoramic train from Luzern or Interlaken.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 9:28:16 #860840

Thanks Mr Lucas. Which airport is near to Zurich? Frankfurt or Munich? I have plans to book my flight to Munich as it shows nearer to Zurich on map. How can I travel from Munich to zurich, by train or bus. After Zurich I will travel to Lucerne Geneva then to Paris Disneyland. Please suggest easy route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 12:37:44 #860841

Munich is a little closer to Zurich, yes.

You can take a train from Munich airport to Zurich in a little under 5 hours with a change in Munich main train station.But there aren’t too many trains that run direct from Munich to Zurich – depending on the time of day you are leaving Munich there may be several train changes.

You can search for the quickest trains between all towns in Switzerland to other countries here just enter your towns and dates/times.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 April 2017 at 18:18:41 #860842

Hi dsmegmel,

Perhaps I am missing the point but you can book a flight directly to Zurich airport. Then take trains to various towns in Switzerland and a train to Paris from there. Would this work for you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 18:24:49 #860843

Thanks Arno. I was thinking to visit some places in Germany (Frankfurt and Munich)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 18:25:32 #860844

I mean alongwith Paris and Switzerland.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 April 2017 at 18:29:17 #860845

That makes sense 🙂 If you have a few days for each town that will make for a nice trip. Traveling from Frankfurt to Zurich is easy: less than 4 hours by direct train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 18:33:22 #860846

So I have to book flights to Frankfurt instead Munich.

I will book to Frankfurt then train journey to Zurich. I want to visit Lucerne Interlaken.

From there Paris city and disneyland.

This route ok?

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 April 2017 at 19:20:35 #860847

If you want to see Frankfurt instead of Munich, then yes, and the trip to Switzerland will be a little easier from there.

If you pick Luzern as Lucas suggested you can take the train from Frankfurt to Basel (Swiss border) in about 3 hours and change for Luzern there. No need to travel via Zurich.

For tickets and passes please see the links provided by Lucas and me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 7:48:28 #860848

Thanks Arno. I booked ticket to Frankfurt as there is no direct flight to zurich and Paris from the country I m travelling. My main purpose of visit to Paris Disneyland Paris City tour and Swiss Jungfraujoch Mount Titlis Rhine falls Interlaken zurich city tour.

Which is better route? Frankfurt to Paris or Frankfurt to Zurich?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 April 2017 at 11:15:21 #860849

Hello dsmegmel,

Both trips take about 4 hours, both can be done by direct trains (perhaps a few more trains to Zurich), so not much difference. You can search for tickets here to see if there is a difference price wise: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/germany/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 12:30:47 #860850

Thanks. I went through train pass. Please advise if I can travel on Swiss Pass family card for 5 days in Switzerland.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 April 2017 at 13:13:14 #860851

You’re welcome! Lucas gave links to the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card in his first post, please check those pages for all details about how the pass works, what’s included and how to buy. In your case there is a pass for 4 or 8 days. 4 days could be enough if you have a regular ticket from Paris or Frankfurt on the day you travel into Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Visit to Switzerland trip planning help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.