Visit to Switzerland in Sept.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2011 at 12:59:05 #804449

We are a retired couple who plan to visit Switzerland, Austria, Germany, (possibly Netherlands) and France from mid Sept. to Oct.1st. We have specific places that we want to see in all of the countries and plan to stay in the Bern area in Switzerland. I would like some suggestions to determine what is the best mode of transportation. We plan to travel mainly by train and prefer not to rent a vehicle. I am finding the train options very confusing as to whether it would be better to buy a Swiss pass for the time we are in Switzerland and then individual passes to the other destinations or whether it would be better to buy a eurorail pass. We would like to spend about 4 days in Switzerland and would like to take in some of the day excursions or can we see what we would like using the Swiss pass without the day excursions and using the half price for cable cars etc. For example can we take a train to Grindlewald and then take the cable car from there? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    DJ

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 July 2011 at 5:57:12 #833357

Hello DJ,

Welcome here, and sorry for the late reply! The general rule to pick a pass is the add the fares of regular tickets and compare that to pass prices. It is explained for Switzerland here. For your 4 days in Switzerland, it sounds like either a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card would be suitable. The first one is the best if you make the most out of these days: i.e. traveling quite a lot and having the freedom of doing an extra free train or boat trip if you feel like it. The second option is better for regional trips.

I’m not sure what you mean with “day excursions”. Are you referring to organised tours? You can visit any (tourist) site on your own as well. For Grindelwald for example, you can just use your pass to travel to Grindelwald and get a discounted cable car ticket on the spot.

The best mode of transportation is usually the train, or sometimes bus or boat. The timetable helps you to plan your trips.

I hope this helps!

• The thread ‘Visit to Switzerland in Sept.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.