Visiting Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2011 at 7:13:43 #804581

Good day

We are visiting Switzerland for the first time from 8 – 15 October 2011.
    We have a great need to experience the local living of the country, any suggestions on where to stay and which places to visit? We would like to see some of the major tourist attractions, but there is so much one miss about the way the local people live, can you help with suggestions.

Regards
    Mariette

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2011 at 10:52:04 #833785

Hi Mariette,

My suggestion would be to rent an apartment or home. That’s much closer to the local way of life than an hotel. You could cook your own meals and shop at the local stores. In most cases, renting is only possible for a full week, usually Saturday to Saturday. That would mean you would stay in one place during your holidays. Which is fine if you pick a location that is centrally located and has a rail station with a least one train per hour, so that you can do day trips for a week. I would personally pick a smaller town as I think city life in Switzerland is not that different from other western cities. This map and the timetable help you select a place.

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2011 at 15:34:56 #833786

It might be too late now, but you could try to do a home exchange? It is kind of a weird idea but my family and I did one and like Arno said do train day trips. Their train system is wonderful! Also defiantly see Berne and try the golden pass. Also another cute, but kind of touristly town is Gstaad.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2011 at 17:41:38 #833787

Hi Mariette, I agree with Arno that an apartment is a good suggestion for experiencing Swiss life. We have just returned from two weeks in an apartment in Thun which has excellent rail links to many places you would enjoy visiting. It is a pretty city and not too touristy; there is a market on Weds and Sats where you can buy lovely fresh fruit and veg and the Coop supermarket is excellent too for finding a good selection of foodstuffs. Enjoy your stay. Maggie

• The thread ‘Visiting Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.