Walking/hiking trails near Grindelwald in January

Walking/hiking trails near Grindelwald in January

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
5 posts
Sep 21, 2017 - 7:42 AM

Hi

My husband and I are planning on being in Grindelwald around the 17th January for 4 nights. I was after some advice in regard to the availability of cleared walking trails in the area at that time. We previously visited the Jungfrau about 6 years ago in October and had a Bernese Oberland pass which enabled us to traverse the countryside in all manner of ways. As this pass is not available during winter I believe that we can purchase a hiking and sledging pass to get around in a similar manner.

As we don't ski, I need to clarify that we could still get around walking at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance

Wendy

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
Sep 21, 2017 - 2:54 PM in reply to tinkerbell

Yes, the Jungfrau hiking and sledging pass would work best for you.

The hiking options will be limited certainly due to the snow as they don't keep open all trails. Snowshoe rentals are a good idea for most trails.

To get an idea of options around the Jungfrau visit this website: https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/winter-hiking/

another website with good information is Interlaken tourism here: http://www.interlaken. ch/en/activities-excursions-adventure-festivals/winter-sports-adventure-activities-interlaken/winter-hiking.html

Lucas

Last modified on Jan 18, 2018 - 11:44 AM by Arno
tinkerbell
tinkerbell
5 posts
Sep 21, 2017 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Lucas

As we have not done any snow shoeing either, perhaps we are being too ambitious in what we could do at this time of the year.

We were planning on spending the 4 nights in Grindelwald, then 3 nights in Lucerne before flying out of Zurich after 8 weeks away from home.

Wendy

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
Sep 22, 2017 - 7:34 AM in reply to tinkerbell

The best idea it to stay flexible and have back up plans in case the weather is poor or the hiking options aren't possible when you are there. Snowshoeing is pretty fun but don't plan long trips - keep it simple at that time of year.

Lucas

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018