Round trip Bernina Express from Tirano-Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 19:31:26 #813312

I’m traveling with my mom, aunt and husband from Germany to Austria, to Italy. I will staying in Milan in October 23 and 24 and we want to ride the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur and return to Tirano. How can I purchase the tickets leaving from Italy? and There is a quicker way to comeback to Tirano?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 9:35:31 #870011

Hi Gleiva and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can buy tickets and make reservations for your Bernina Express trip here. You can take a regional train from Chur back to Tirano (same route but a little faster) if you prefer.

There is also a round-trip tour option from Milan that you can read about here.

Lucas

macca
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 September 2017 at 12:54:00 #870012

Hi Gleiva. We did this trip on the 5/6th September the other way round, Chur to Tirano, using both the Bernina Express and regional trains. Our route from Chur went via St Moritz as we picked up the afternoon Bernina Express from there. As Lucas says – the route by regional train is exactly the same with all the same spectacular scenery (avoid any that go via Landquart and you should be ok). The normal train from Chur was super modern with a panoramic carriage and windows that open for taking photos. Better I’d argue than the Bernina Express itself! The route really is special. We stayed overnight in Tirano (a nice town with a lovely old quarter full of narrow cobbled streets and hidden palazzos plus good value restaurants)

Don’t worry about regional trains that show several changes. On our return from Tirano to Chur we changed at Pontresina and then Samedan within a short time but it was very easy, clear and quick. You don’t require a reservation on the regional trains but there are always more than enough seats. It is possible to do the return journey in one day but bear in mind each way is around 4 hours.

As well as info on this forum I emailed railservice@rhb. ch to be absolutely sure the regional train we took was following the same Unesco World Heritage route.

Have fun!

Mel

• The thread ‘Round trip Bernina Express from Tirano-Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.