72625 posts
    16 June 2015 at 22:35:31 #807410

Hello,

We are a family of 5 adults and here is our itinerary:

26th June: Flying in to Zurich

26th June-27th June: Zurich

27th June-1st July: Lauterbrunnen

1st July: Flying out from Geneva

Can you please suggest me the right train passes/tickets that I should consider for my trip? I checked out the individual ticket prices for my travel within Switzerland, and it turns out to be very expensive for 5 people. On the other hand, I am getting a car rental that I can pick up at Zurich airport and drop off at Geneva airport in $250 total, which appears to be more economical if I do not consider the gas prices.

Can you please tell me if driving in Switzerland is good and whether it would turn out to be a better option for us than the trains?

Thanks,

Dhara

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 June 2015 at 16:35:07 #843842

Hi Dhara,

Thanks for your post! $250 is indeed not expensive, but as you said you should add gas (currently about CHF 1.55 per liter). On top of that there’s parking fees and possibly car trains. You need a pretty large car to travel comfortably with adults and their luggage. They’re usually more expensive than $250. I have seen 5-seat cars for that amount, but not with spacious seats in the back or sufficient space for 5 or more suitcases.

Whether driving is the best option depends on where you’re going and how comfortable you are driving in the mountains and in cities you’ve not been to before. Having a car in Zurich itself (in town) is no advantage at all. There’s excellent public transport. Most of the area around Lauterbrunnen (the Jungfrau region) can not be reached by car. Please also see this thread.

In most cases, the trains are a better way to travel: comfortable, eco-friendly, safe, and the driver can also enjoy the scenery instead of watching the road the whole time. If you decide to travel by car, a Swiss Half Fare Card saves you money on cable cars, boats trips, etc. If you decide to do it all by train, it depends on which day trips you have planned. The passes can be found here, and how to choose one is explained here.

• The thread ‘Want to know about train vs driving in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.