Weather information for hiking trails

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2017 at 15:04:38 #810685

I am planning for a hiking trip to Switzerland in May to June and I am not sure what the temperature will be along the trails. E.g. I managed to find the average temperature of each month for the Aletsch Glacier area ( http://www.yr.no/place/Switze rland/Other/Aletsch_Gl acier/statistics.html ) but the weather station providing the data is located at 1320 m asl which is a lot lower than the altitude of the Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp trail ( 2180 – 2647 m ). May I know where I can find the needed information ? thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 January 2017 at 16:23:05 #858522

Hi swissfans, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here are some resources that may be relevant:

• MeteoSwiss climate diagrams. You can look for temperature and precipitation averages for several Swiss measuring stations across the country, either through a map or using the table. You’d best look for stations in the (wider) Aletsch area and locations at the approximate altitude you’re interested in. Grimsel Hospiz and Gütsch ob Andermatt may serve as examples.
    • MeteoSwiss monthly and annual maps. This provides good insight in sunshine, temperature and precipitation averages throughout the country. It’s a bit harder to find the precise heights though.

Please note that these are just averages and that they have limited predicting value for next May and June. Circumstances can strongly vary per year, season, month and day, and forecasts only start to become reliable a couple of days in advance. Please see myswissalps.com/weathe r for more information and links.

Bettmerhorn-Fiescheralp could be tricky in May and June. Trails at such altitude can still be covered in snow and are likely to still be inaccessible, unless there’s been warm and dry Spring weather. Also, mind that the cable car to Fiescheralp/Eggishorn won’t be fully operational before June 10. July to September are the best months for high altitude hikes. You’ll find plenty of pleasant trails at lower altitude for May and June though.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2017 at 1:04:21 #858523

Thanks a lot Annika !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 January 2017 at 1:11:34 #858524

Hi Swissfans-

Annika said it politely.

You are too early in the year for serious high altitude hiking. July onward works.

Even in well-travelled areas, such as near the Jungfrau, many mountain transport options don’t start running until about May 25, and easy trails, such as Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg at about 2200-2000 meters, don’t normally open until about mid June.. Earlier if the snow pack is light. Clouds can make trail visibility not-so-good, even if they are open. Or, you may have wonderfully clear days.

This website has a lot of information about trails.. don’t know if it deals with seasonal issues.

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=250& X=638500&Y=173750&laye rs=Wanderland

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Weather information for hiking trails’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.