Best Swiss mountain to visit in poor weather?

Best Swiss mountain to visit in poor weather?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Travelholic6
Travelholic6
40 posts
May 10, 2018 - 1:33 AM

Hi folks

We are on a 9 day trip into Switzerland commencing 11th May . Our plan is to cover Titlis , Matterhorn during the period 12th to 15th while we are based in Interlakken . It does seem we have run into unseasonal rains . While we have done trips to these tops in the past , they have been in clear weather . Appreciate your guidance on selecting the appropriate mountain top that is worth a visit even when the weather is cloudy ..

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
8846 posts
expert &
May 10, 2018 - 2:30 AM in reply to Travelholic6

Hi Travelholic6 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I'm not sure that any mountain is better than another for cloudy/rainy weather. They aren't very good trips. Best to play it be ear on the morning you want to go. You may luck out and get a sunny break for an hour....I'd go to Zermatt at least and hope to see the Matterhorn. Cross your fingers!

Travelholic6
Travelholic6
40 posts
May 10, 2018 - 2:35 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas....Last April got in good weather at the Matterhorn . Guess will play it by the ear and go by the latest weather reports . Guess an early start is the best bet for some clear weather at the top. Appreciate

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
May 10, 2018 - 4:39 AM in reply to Travelholic6

View from Gornergrat Webcam looks pretty good right now! Also keep an eye on bit.ly/2GmILXS and bit.ly/2pORTKs.

GerryPhilp
GerryPhilp
11 posts
May 11, 2018 - 9:12 PM

On our recent trip the weather reports were only right part of the time. We were lucky enough to be renting accommodation and our landlady and she was an oracle when it came to local weather. On one day she suggested we reverse our plans and take our hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg in the afternoon since she guaranteed the weather would clear up despite what the forecast had said the night before. She was right; we had a glorious walk in the sunshine with billowing clouds. Folks who had set out on the morning are probably still drying out.

I guess what I really am saying is ... make friends with some local people and get their opinion. We found it better than any weather forecast!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018