Best Swiss mountain to visit in poor weather?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 1:33:08 #815867

Hi folks

We are on a 9 day trip into Switzerland commencing 11th May . Our plan is to cover Titlis , Matterhorn during the period 12th to 15th while we are based in Interlakken . It does seem we have run into unseasonal rains . While we have done trips to these tops in the past , they have been in clear weather . Appreciate your guidance on selecting the appropriate mountain top that is worth a visit even when the weather is cloudy ..

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:30:06 #884801

Hi Travelholic6 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m not sure that any mountain is better than another for cloudy/rainy weather. They aren’t very good trips. Best to play it be ear on the morning you want to go. You may luck out and get a sunny break for an hour….I’d go to Zermatt at least and hope to see the Matterhorn. Cross your fingers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:35:35 #884802

Thanks Lucas….Last April got in good weather at the Matterhorn . Guess will play it by the ear and go by the latest weather reports . Guess an early start is the best bet for some clear weather at the top. Appreciate

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2018 at 4:39:09 #884803

View from Gornergrat Webcam looks pretty good right now! Also keep an eye on bit.ly/2GmILXS and bit.ly/2pORTKs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 21:12:51 #884804

On our recent trip the weather reports were only right part of the time. We were lucky enough to be renting accommodation and our landlady and she was an oracle when it came to local weather. On one day she suggested we reverse our plans and take our hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg in the afternoon since she guaranteed the weather would clear up despite what the forecast had said the night before. She was right; we had a glorious walk in the sunshine with billowing clouds. Folks who had set out on the morning are probably still drying out.

I guess what I really am saying is … make friends with some local people and get their opinion. We found it better than any weather forecast!

• The thread ‘Best Swiss mountain to visit in poor weather?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.