Trip report weekend in Zermatt in March 2019

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2019 at 16:35:37 #820953

Hey All! We had a great weekend trip to Zermatt thanks to inputs from folks here. I’m posting some information for anybody else who needs it.

We are non-skiers (I wished we were after this trip!) so we were there for sightseeing.

The 2-day Peak Pass worked well for us, CHF 125 per person with the Swiss Half Fare Card. We purchased it at the Tourism Office beside the train station so no queues, the folks there were super helpful. The pass included the following:

Gornergratbahn Cogwheel train (option to get on and off at stops but not ideal during winter, we went straight to the top, sit at the right side going up)

Main lifts line to Klein Matterhorn (Matterhorn Glacier Paradise) passing through Furi, Schwarzsee (get off for Matterhorn photos) and Trockener Steg (change lifts here).

Funicular to Sunnegga and lifts to Rothorn.

Green E-bus to go around Zermatt

The pass is worth it as you save versus buying individual tickets and gives you the schedule flexibilty. I was not expecting the ride up to Kleinmatterhorn to be that amazing, highest I’ve been in my life!!! We loved Gornergrat too as it wasn’t as cold as Kleinmatterhorn and we just took in the views – the scopes there have a good feature so try to take a peek. You can skip Rothorn if you’re not hiking or skiing but the views are still amazing. We also went to the Matterhorn museum (Zermattlantis?) and learned about some history and controversy. Don’t forget to take a quick stroll through the town as well and relax a bit.

If you’re pressed for time you can do Kleinmatterhorn and Gornergrat in 1 day, a day pass is available.

Hope this helps! More adventures for all!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 April 2019 at 6:21:46 #909263

Hi Sparky,

Many thanks for posting about your trip. Sounds like a wonderful weekend with all the highlights of Zermatt included!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2019 at 23:00:14 #909264

Good one Sparky. I might give that Peak Pass a shot next time I’m in the neighbourhood. Do you just show the pass when boarding the cable cars or do you need to show it at the cable car ticket offices to get a free ticket?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2019 at 21:52:49 #909265

Hi Rockoyster-

You look a bit unstable. Careful that you don’t fall off.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 April 2019 at 22:12:27 #909266

Don’t worry Slowpoke. We have gravity down here as well, you know. 😇

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 April 2019 at 0:08:15 #909267

<<“Don’t worry Slowpoke. We have gravity down here as well, you know. 😇”>>

Was not sure. Good to know. We’d all hate to lose a 5 star contributor here because of some minor mishap.

Gravity was present in Sydney and all of NZ when I was last there, some years ago. Both islands of NZ.

I was concerned that the earthquakes that wreaked havoc on my favorite Christchurch might have caused Tasmania to be set adrift, in spite of the long distance between those places.

Keep up the cheerful news!

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2019 at 5:08:04 #909268

Hi Rockoyster,

1 pass for all cable cars, funiculars, trains, scanned at the gates upon entry and exit. You can keep it in your breast or jacket pocket and scanners can detect it. No need to go to ticket offices. They had the same in Jungfrau region. Will post a trip report about that in a bit.

Sparky

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2019 at 5:46:00 #909269

Cool!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2019 at 12:25:05 #909270

Hi

Thanks for the information on the Peak Pass. Seems like this is a real bargain – coming in at about 1/2 the cost of visiting Gornegrat, Sunnegga and Klein Matterhorn over two days.

great find.

• The thread ‘Trip report weekend in Zermatt in March 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.