Wengen chalet location near train station & stores

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 13:59:48 #810099

I will be booking a chalet for our stay in Wengen – but am curious if there is a “better” area of Wengen to stay in versus others? For example, is it better to be above or below the rail station? Or, is Wengen small enough that it doesn’t really matter? We are looking to be relatively close to the grocery store/restaurants and don’t want a 10-15 walk each day to the train station.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 19:14:00 #855987

Hi Mayabby.

While the expert advisors here will soon give you professional advice, I am replying because I stayed in Wengen last week for a couple of days. While I am not sure where your Chalet is located, Wengen itself is a compact one street town with most of hotels within 5..10 minutes walk from the railway station.

if you search for hotels on hotels.com / booking.com or Aitbnb you can see the map of town to get an idea of location of your Chalet vis-a-vi the railway station and Main Street.

Where ever you stay, Wengen has a lovely location, a nice train journey from Interlaken with one change and proximity to Jungfrau and Schilthorn.

So enjoy your stay, have a great time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 September 2016 at 20:04:31 #855988

Hi Mayabby-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Adding to what Cupid said, here is a bit more information.

I like Wengen, and so does Kim:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim.

After you read that, there will be a quiz. 😉

When are you going? There are very distinct “seasons” with variable tourist services.

This map, with the overlay turned on under “Points of Interest/ gastronomy/hotel can be helpful, but it does not show all acommodations:

map.search.ch/?pos=637483,161736&z=25 6&poi=hotel

Check these listings under the appropriate tabs:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion.

I’d prefer to be above the station…not sure why. There are no “bad” and “good” sections, but I always hated to climb up to the station, when I stayed below it. Just my preference. The views might be somewhat better above the station…that is where all the best hotels are located.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 14:09:42 #855989

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! We have zeroed in on Chalet Hannegg (with Swiss Maid Services) – which is located directly below the train station. So hopefully not too bad of a climb and it looks to have a good view. Any feedback on this particular chalet?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 September 2016 at 14:25:48 #855990

Hi Mayabby11 –

When are you going?

Seasons are critical. Many services do not run in late Fall

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 14:51:20 #855991

We will be in Wengen June 4 – June 7, 2017.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 September 2016 at 15:27:08 #855992

That’s a bit early for full services, and higher trails may still be blocked with snow. Lower levels and main attractions should be available.

Work with the time table, and this link may help with status of trails…but, at that time they may be good one day and blocked the next. Those kinds of things depend very much on the snowpack left from the winter, and possible snows, even then ( unlikely.)

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

If they are closed, the symbol for walkers will not be there or will be marked out.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 September 2016 at 15:58:05 #855993

<<“Any feedback on this particular chalet?”>>

Looks like a great location.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Wengen chalet location near train station & stores’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.