Wengen or Lauterbrunnen with small children?

• GeigerFamily
    Participant
    6 posts
    7 March 2023 at 11:27:29 #829260

Hello,

First of all, this website has been most useful for planning our eight day trip to Switzerland (March 21st – March 29th). We are staying in Lucerne for four nights, Lauterbrunnen for three nights, and Zürich for one night before flying home.

I have booked a hotel in Lauterbrunnen, and also in Wengen. I recently found a hotel that will accommodate our family of five in Wengen and now have to decide whether to stay in Lauterbrunnen (Hotel Silberhorn) or Wengen (Hotel Edelweiss). We would like to take our kids sledding, ride the Jungfraubahn, and also go hiking. We have a 7, 5, and 2 year old. So convenience is most important. Both towns seem perfect, but given the choice, any advice? I just read on this website Hotel Edelweiss is uphill from the train station. This may be an issue because our 2 year old will be in a stroller, or I or my husband will carry home in a backpack carrier (and he’s a big boy!).

Also, I would appreciate any recommended easy hikes, and any sledding tips are welcome!

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    7 March 2023 at 15:42:02 #951831

(My opinion). Lauterbrunnen Is small and doesn’t have much to do in town other than walk around. Wengen, if I recall correctly, has an outdoor play area for kids in the middle of town,. (I’ve stayed in both places.). Of course each town has transportation to other mountain areas. But March usually has snow and some/many trails are still closed, so hiking might be limited. (So lm not sure about the play area in March.)

”uphill from the train station” in Wengen is a mild incline, in my opinion. I prefer Wengen and would never stay in both places on a trip, since they are about 11 minutes apart.

Anna
    6382 posts
    7 March 2023 at 19:21:02 #951832

Hi Geigerfamily,

Hotel Edelweiss in Wengen is located close to the train station, however you have to walk uphill/downhill to get around. If there’s enough snow you can simply sled down to the hotel:) Wengen is a lovely village with great views of the surrounding mountains. I think there is a playground just next to the hotel. Everything is within walking distance — shops, restaurants, cable car to Männlichen, ski school and beginner’s slopes.

Hotel Silberhorn in Lauterbrunnen is also located near the train station and the Grutschalp cableway valley station. You also have to walk up a short incline to get there but I think it’s quite manageable with a stroller. You do get a nice view of the surrounding because of the elevated position. There are shops and restaurants all within walking distance. However if you’re looking for a ski school or places to go sledding, you have to take the cable car up to Mürren or the train to Wengen.

Whatever you choose I hope you’ll have a great trip!

Regards,

Anna

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    8 March 2023 at 0:33:21 #951833

Hi GeigerFamily! I might be wrong, but based on my recollection (we stayed at the Hotel Alpenrose), I believe Hotel Edelweiss is actually downhill from the train station in Wengen? A small detail, perhaps, but going uphill at the beginning of the day carrying/pushing a 2-year-old versus at the end of the day might make a difference? There is a playground right by the train station also, which the kids seemed to enjoy. We really loved staying in Wengen, the setting was absolutely stunning!

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    8 March 2023 at 14:15:46 #951834

Hello Geigerfamily,

As you have read, Wengen is popular 🙂 I was actually in Wengen a few weeks ago and indeed it is a lovely spot.

As an option for a hike. You could take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg and do the hike in reverse, that way, all is downhill – much more appealing for your children, I am sure ;-). (I also observed, people sledding down this route too)

Here is the timetable link, so you can plan accordingly. https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    9 March 2023 at 9:24:08 #951835

Dear Yolanda,

in the case of a 7 year old kid with a Swiss Family Card – do I have to pay for him on the cable car from Murren to Birg?

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    9 March 2023 at 11:06:31 #951836

Hello Ventsislav,

No, your son would travel for free with the Swiss Family Card, your transportation from Mürren to Birg will be discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Best wishes,

Yolanda

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    9 March 2023 at 12:26:20 #951837

Thank you!

Regarding the discount for adults – it is the same with Swiss Half Fare Card, Swiss Travel Pass and Bernese Oberland Regional Pass, correct?

GeigerFamily
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 March 2023 at 16:25:13 #951838

Thank you all for your responses! We will stay in Wengen. We are very excited! I think the hard part will be leaving.

We are from Florida, and our kids will see snow for the first time. It seems Wengen is closer to the snow activities. We will try sledding down and hiking down from Kleine Scheidegg. Thank you for advice, Yolanda. 🙂

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    9 March 2023 at 19:52:51 #951839

Hi Ventsislav,

Yes for the trip, Mürren to Birg.

– 50% discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity
    – 50% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity
    – 50% discounted with the Berner Oberland Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

Best wishes,

Yolanda

Jers
    Participant
    28 posts
    22 March 2023 at 23:53:50 #951840

Hi EASW,

I read with lots of interest that you stayed at Hotel Alpenrose. My husband and I will be staying there for 10 nights this September. I specifically wanted a hotel that had Swiss decor and a homey feel. Do you agree with this description? I know the location isn’t the best base, but I wanted it anyway.

Please tell me if you just liked it, or loved this hotel? We have requested a high floor with a view. Can you please tell me if there’s anything else I should request? Or, what you would have done the same or different?

How is the food? They said they had a great breakfast with eggs, bacon,etc. I like that, rather than just meat, cheese and bread.

Did you eat dinner there a few times? Would you recommend?

Does the hotel help you out with information about trains and activities? I had researched a lot, but it’s always nice to have a very helpful Front Desk who is there to help in case you need it.

Thank you very very much for your time and info.

Warm Regards, Jers

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    23 March 2023 at 13:31:04 #951841

Hello Jers! I am more than happy to answer your questions about Hotel Alpenrose! First of all, we absolutely loved the hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat. It definitely has that cozy Swiss ambience–public areas with plush, overstuffed sofas and chairs and a fireplace, rooms with knotty pine walls and wooden furniture. The front desk personnel were extremely helpful, offering advice on trains, restaurants and anything else we needed. The breakfast was excellent; as you mentioned, not only did they have pastries and cheese options, but also hot items like eggs and various breakfast meats (bacon, sausage). We did not eat dinner at the restaurant because reservations were required and we were never sure when we would be back from our day’s wanderings. But we heard other guests commenting how delicious and reasonably priced it was, especially if you had booked the half board option.

All that said, our favorite thing about the hotel was the view from our room (see the attached photo). There are not enough words to describe how beautiful it was! We would wake up to fresh mountain air and a view of the valley in the morning sun and come back at the end of the day to a spectacular sunset! One evening there was a thunderstorm that gave us a lightning show over the distant peaks. We never got tired of sitting out on the balcony and listening to the bells on the cows grazing the pasture down the hill from the hotel. It sounds like the room you booked will be similar to ours, so I don’t think you will be disappointed.

If there is any drawback at all, it might be that the hotel is downhill from the train station. So our ventures out at the beginning of the day included a relatively steep, short hike up to the station, but we got used to it. The hotel will send a shuttle to the train station to pick you up if you let them know what train you are arriving on ahead of time. They will also bring you back to the station when you depart.

So yes, I highly recommend Hotel Alpenrose! I hope you love it as much as we did!

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    23 March 2023 at 15:10:37 #951842

Dear EASW,

Thank you so much.

Your detailed insight for the Hotel Alpenrose is much appreciated, and what an amazing photo!

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Jers
    Participant
    28 posts
    24 March 2023 at 1:46:49 #951843

Mar 24, 2023 – 12:12 AM in reply to EASW

Dear EASW,

How kind of you to respond so quickly! Thank you. You made my day!

I am grinning from ear to ear – I am so happy to hear that you loved the Hotel Alpenrose! It took me quite a while to research and finally chose it. It sounds like everything that I hoped for. Your photo is gorgeous! Thank you for including that. For curiosity, do you remember what room number it was?

Thanks again, and Warm Regards, Jers

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    24 March 2023 at 2:06:23 #951844

Jers, I am so sorry, but I do not remember the room number. It was on the third floor and at the end of the hallway (corner room), I do remember that. Please see the attached picture for a visual!

Jers
    Participant
    28 posts
    24 March 2023 at 3:50:35 #951845

Dear EASW,

That’s OK – you have provided a LOT ! I really appreciate you going to this effort to point out the room!

The photo of the view from your room was so stunningly beautiful. Even my husband gasped when he saw it! And he’s not a “gasper” ha ha.

Thank you for your extra effort. It’s been a pleasure chatting with you.

Warm Regards, Jers

• The thread ‘Wengen or Lauterbrunnen with small children?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.