Wengen or Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2014 at 17:33:53 #806584

Hello!

We are headed from Zermatt to either Wengen or Murren on Sept 9 through 11. Having a difficult time deciding which town to stay in. I stayed in Wengen years ago and loved it. I want my husband to see jungfraujoch, and the waterfalls and do some nice hiking. Is it that much more difficult to get around from Murren than Wengen?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2014 at 10:13:24 #840863

Want to take Lauterbrunnen train to Murren, stay the night. Need to know where to park my car overnight and when is first cable car in the morning to Schilthorn…. Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 August 2014 at 15:36:42 #840864

Hello jbhancock,

Both villages are absolutely beautiful and with great views. Wengen is a little bit bigger with more facilities. If you take Lauterbrunnen, at the valley floor, as a reference point, Wengen is 15 minutes by train and Mürren is 25 to 35 minutes by cable car and train or bus and cable car. So Mürren is a bit further away bit only a little bit. Wengen is along the route to the Jungfraujoch. Hiking (suggestions are here) can be done from both villages.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 August 2014 at 15:43:59 #840865

Hi weesewood,

There’s a car park near the Lauterbrunnen rail station. Cable car departure times are in the timetable. Further information can be found on the Schilthorn page.

Please create a new topic if you have follow up questions. This topic was about a different matter (see our forum rules). Thanks in advance!

Nauman
    Participant
    19 posts
    19 August 2014 at 11:09:11 #840866

I’ll be going to Wengen in mid October. My concern was similar to what you have now but as per my extensive research, Wengen is bit closer to Interlaken and some other attractions. I prepared a small map for my own use with distance to possible attractions from Wengen. May be you find it helpful.

Rgds..

physoc
    Participant
    9 posts
    20 August 2014 at 15:17:52 #840867

Hi. Well why not stay in Lauterbrunnen, then you have all the options of hiking up to either Wengen or Grutschalp and on to Murren and all the beautiful hiking trails in the mountains above. Even to Piz Gloria if you are fit! Or train to Wengen and cable-car to Mannlichen and hike around the top, past the Lauberhorn and Kline Scheidegg and back to Wengen. And you have the train to Interlaken at your door-step also….

• The thread ‘Wengen or Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.