Best rail pass for 3 days Appenzell and to Italy

• jasmine16193
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 May 2016 at 20:28:28 #809209

Hello,

I will be spending 3D2N in the Alpstein/Appenzell mountain region which would require me to take some cable car/lifts.

After that I am planning to take a train to Bellagio, Italy. My research shows me that I can take the Bernina Express from Zurich to Tirano, and then another train + ferry from Tirano to Bellagio.

Then, I will be taking a train from Milan to Venice.

Is there a rail pass that would cover my travels? What is the most cost efficient method?

Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 May 2016 at 11:56:54 #852073

Hi jasmine16193, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can look into the Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Travel Pass. Please see here for how to choose between these two options. If you stay one more night in the Appenzell region you would get the Appenzeller Card that might be handy for your plans.

Indeed you can take the Bernina Express to Tirano; that would be a very nice ride.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for 3 days Appenzell and to Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.