What is the best way to get from Murren to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 17:44:16 #809917

Hello,

I would love to have someone review my itinerary please and offer any suggestions.

Day 1 Arrive in Zurich – buy 15 day Swiss pass and process to Samedan for 3 nights

Day 2 -3 Use free Engadine Pass to tour around area including St Moritz

Day 4 Train to Tirano and spend the night

Day 5 Train to Luzern – (which route please) and spend three nights

Day 6 – 7 See the sights of Luzern and Rigi and boat trip

Day 8 Train to Murren for four nights

Day 9 – 11 Easy hikes, waterfalls, boat trips and Junfraujoch or Schlithorn as weather permits

Day 12 Early train to Milan – Question, should I buy from Domodossola to Milan from Trenitalia . Need to be in Milan Centrale for a 12:10 train to Riomaggiore

Thanks so much for all the good information on your site.

Nioka

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    17 August 2016 at 18:33:39 #855241

Hi Nioka,

I’m glad to hear you like our website!

Day 1: I’d recommend to buy your Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass) at home and print it before departure. That will save you time after arrival as you can board the train to Chur and onward to Samedan immediately. If you buy the pass after arrival you will have to queue for a ticket office. Worst case you’ll arrive 30-60 minutes later.

All purchase options are listed here. I recommend to visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1 – 3 working days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home.

Day 5: you can take a train to Milan. Then take a train to Bellinzona and on to Lucerne, or include a boat trip (Wilhelm Tell Express route). Another option is Tirano – Pontresina – Sagliains – Landquart – Andermatt – Göschenen – Lucerne. The timetable has all the details.

Day 12: lots of websites sell Trenitalia tickets. Please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 14:48:44 #855242

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the speedy reply. We fly stand by so not able to purchase pass ahead of time since it requires an exact start date, right?

I have tried the via towns on sbb.ch from Tirano to Luzern but cannot find the route you suggested. Can you please tell me how to find it?

Wanted to leave the boat trip on our time in Luzern.

Thanks,

Nioka

Arno
    15478 posts
    18 August 2016 at 18:26:44 #855243

Hi Nioka,

Passes indeed require a start date when you purchase them. I suggested two routes. I am not sure which one you prefer. There are basically two ways to get schedules: enter via-places, or find the schedule of each leg individually.

• The thread ‘What is the best way to get from Murren to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.