Rail pass for family, 3 nights Basel & Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 17:50:44 #819112

Hi.

We are a family consist if 6; me , my husband , 4 kids aged 15,12,11 and 6. We’ll take a flight frm london to Basel and will spend a night in Basel. Early in the morning we’ll travel to Interlaken and had booked apartment 2 nights there and will be back to Basel for our train to Paris

1. Is it possible for us to visit Bern , Grindelward , Lucern and Mullen? We have 2 days in Interlaken and is it doable for us to visit those places ?

2. Which swiss travel card you would suggest for me and husband since are planning to take the swiss family card too since it is free for all our 4 kids.

3. If we purchase the swiss travel card or swiss half fare , are the places that i mentioned in no 1 covered with the benefits of no need to pay (for STP) and just need to top up for another half of the fare if me or husband purchase the half fare pass?

3. Which train companies is the best for us to take from Basel to Interlaken since i understand there are few train companies in switzerland.

Really looking forward for your reply. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 19:54:30 #899990

Hi Meen and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I moved your thread to the Rail Forum – the Trip Reports Forum is for people talking about recently completed trips only. 🙂

1. You can check travel times and connections using the Swiss railways timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable – then you can decide if the trips to those towns will work for you or not (Mullen = Murren I think?)
    2. If you want the Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) you must get either the Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) or Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) for you and your partner. In order to find out which is cheapest for your trip you must first plan each day’s trips out, find their costs and then do the math to compare. Our page here will help: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass
    3. Yes, those 4 towns would be free to travel to on the Swiss Travel Pass and it would be 50% off with the Swiss Half Fare Card. If you visit any mountains then the Swiss Travel Pass offers discounts – usually 50% off. Once you are on the web page for a specific rail pass click on the “where it’s valid” tab to see what routes are covered.
    4. The train company does not matter in Switzerland. Just find the departure time that works for you on the timetable – the rail passes are valid on any train company – it is only the route itself that matters.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 0:13:51 #899991

Could you clarify that your arrival in Basel is late at night – or are you planning to see something of Basel on arrival. If not why not go straight to Interlaken?

I say this because the rest of your wants list is quite a lot to squeeze into 2 days in Interlaken

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 December 2018 at 9:41:17 #899992

Going straight to Interlaken might indeed be more efficient as 1960man says. If you want or need to stay in Basel then these pages will be useful:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 9:43:35 #899993

Thanks Lucas. i’ve just purchased the swiss half fare travel pass included w swiss family for my kids. Really appreciate your response

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 9:45:37 #899994

yeah the flight is quite late at night and not willing to travel with kids for another 2 hours jouner to interlaken. Thanks1960man

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 9:46:19 #899995

Thanks. the link is so helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2018 at 1:07:31 #899996

Yes fully understand. I often fly into Basel on the late flight from London and stay in Basel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2018 at 1:11:30 #899997

Note that, depending on your start date, this will entitle you to buy a discount bus fare for the Airport bus (line 50) from the bus stop just outside the terminal. There are ticket machines at the stop

The problem with line 50 is that lots of people off the same plane have to squeeze onto the bus so you may have to wait a bit for an emptier one

• The thread ‘Rail pass for family, 3 nights Basel & Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.