What rail pass for a week Zurich, Wengen, Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 21:10:42 #822614

Hello!

My friend and I are planning a trip to Switzerland for next week. We’re flying into Zurich and are going straight to Wengen, and then from Wengen going to Lucerne (and then back to Zurich for our flight out).

We plan on taking the train between all of these destinations, is the Swiss Rail Pass the best way to go? If we get the Swiss Rail Pass do we just board the trains when they come and need not book any in advance?

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2019 at 21:17:20 #916771

Hello Olive and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

We plan on taking the train between all of these destinations, is the Swiss Rail Pass the best way to go?

Probably but without knowing more about your plans it is hard to be definitive. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to all the available passes including regional passes covering the Jungfrau and Bernese Oberland regions.

If we get the Swiss Rail Pass do we just board the trains when they come and need not book any in advance?

Correct. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse and also check the “Where it’s valid” tab on that page.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    3 July 2019 at 1:50:39 #916772

Pl specify how many days you intend to travel with at least tentative itinerary. If you are going to travel a lot a swiss pass is very good deal as it covers train, local transport and boat. 25% to 50% on most mountain lifts. This pass comes in 3, 4, 8 and 15 days version. If you are focusing any particular region only you can consider regional pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 13:01:48 #916773

We will be traveling for 3 days, and on the fourth day well just be taking the train from Lucerne to Zurich airport.

in our 3 days of travel we’ll be going from Zurich airport to Wengen, Wengen to Lucerne, and possible taking some mountain trams—whether permitting.

I think it might be most cost effective to choose the 3 day pass and buy a train ticket to the airport separately on the 4th day?

Annika
    7125 posts
    3 July 2019 at 15:34:03 #916774

Hi Olive 123,

Yes, that makes sense indeed! Please find prices and purchase options at

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    3 July 2019 at 17:37:01 #916775

“Swiss Rail Pass” – I think you mean the Swiss Travel Pass.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:24:40 #916776

Yes

• The thread ‘What rail pass for a week Zurich, Wengen, Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.