Switzerland in December what to do and where to go

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 7:13:23 #813100

Hi. We are planning a trip in mid December for 2 weeks. Is that a good time to visit? We are planning to go to Lugano, the ticino region for 7 days. And the remaining 7 days in someplace where we can see snowfall.

We are traveling with 2 toddlers hence mostly we are interested in sightseeing. We visited Switzerland last year in September for almost 3 weeks and visited Zurich, lucerne, murren, wengen, interlaken and bern. Kindly suggest where shall we go this time? We will buy a Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks in advance

Pallavi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 11:02:50 #869092

Hi Pallavi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, December can be a great time of year to visit Switzerland. Certainly most activities are based on skiing etc.

I don’t have any experience in the Ticino region in the winter – it is more of a summer destination (another member may correct me here). Have a look at Ticino’s Tourism website for winter activity ideas. Is there any reason why you thought to go there? Or was it because you hadn’t been there yet? A perfectly fine reason!

Outside of Ticino, perhaps you are interested in going to Zermatt to experience this ski resort and the Matterhorn?

If you didn’t get a chance to ride on a panoramic train, this would be a great option as well. Have a look at the Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 5:57:03 #869093

Thanks Lucas. Yes we have ticino region in mind as we haven’t been there. Zermatt will be a good choice I guess. Will zermatt will be a good option as a base if we wanted to go for day trip to montreux and vevey? Where do you suggest we go first- lugano or zermatt? We are flying to and from zurich airport. Are murren and Zermatt similar?

Thanks in advance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 7:01:36 #869094

It is an ok base for the area I suppose – but it is about 2.5 hours by train to get to Montreux…so not quick. Use the Swiss railways timetable to make trip plans.

I might go to the Ticino region for the week first and then perhaps Zermatt for 2 or 3 days and Montreux for 2 or 3 days before heading back to Zurich.

Zermatt is not like Mürren at all, though they are both located beside famous mountain ranges. Zermatt is a larger and world-famous ski resort town whereas Mürren is a small alpine village so you will get a much different experience I think!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 12:26:00 #869095

Thanks a ton Lucas. I now have an outline where to go. We loved murren so much that we might include a day or two in this trip as well😊. Will have to focus on 2-3 places only as we don’t want to change hotels frequently. Thanks again.

Pallavi

• The thread ‘Switzerland in December what to do and where to go’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.