Switzerland in December what to do and where to go

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
pallavi007
pallavi007
3 posts
Aug 28, 2017 - 7:13 AM

Hi. We are planning a trip in mid December for 2 weeks. Is that a good time to visit? We are planning to go to Lugano, the ticino region for 7 days. And the remaining 7 days in someplace where we can see snowfall.

We are traveling with 2 toddlers hence mostly we are interested in sightseeing. We visited Switzerland last year in September for almost 3 weeks and visited Zurich, lucerne, murren, wengen, interlaken and bern. Kindly suggest where shall we go this time? We will buy a Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks in advance

Pallavi

Last modified on Aug 28, 2017 - 10:58 AM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Aug 28, 2017 - 11:02 AM in reply to pallavi007

Hi Pallavi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, December can be a great time of year to visit Switzerland. Certainly most activities are based on skiing etc.

I don't have any experience in the Ticino region in the winter - it is more of a summer destination (another member may correct me here). Have a look at Ticino's Tourism website for winter activity ideas. Is there any reason why you thought to go there? Or was it because you hadn't been there yet? A perfectly fine reason!

Outside of Ticino, perhaps you are interested in going to Zermatt to experience this ski resort and the Matterhorn?

If you didn't get a chance to ride on a panoramic train, this would be a great option as well. Have a look at the Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

Lucas

Last modified on Aug 28, 2017 - 11:04 AM by Lucas
pallavi007
pallavi007
3 posts
Aug 31, 2017 - 5:57 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas. Yes we have ticino region in mind as we haven't been there. Zermatt will be a good choice I guess. Will zermatt will be a good option as a base if we wanted to go for day trip to montreux and vevey? Where do you suggest we go first- lugano or zermatt? We are flying to and from zurich airport. Are murren and Zermatt similar?

Thanks in advance

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Aug 31, 2017 - 7:01 AM in reply to pallavi007

It is an ok base for the area I suppose - but it is about 2.5 hours by train to get to Montreux...so not quick. Use the Swiss railways timetable to make trip plans.

I might go to the Ticino region for the week first and then perhaps Zermatt for 2 or 3 days and Montreux for 2 or 3 days before heading back to Zurich.

Zermatt is not like Mürren at all, though they are both located beside famous mountain ranges. Zermatt is a larger and world-famous ski resort town whereas Mürren is a small alpine village so you will get a much different experience I think!

Lucas

Last modified on Aug 31, 2017 - 7:02 AM by Lucas
pallavi007
pallavi007
3 posts
Sep 3, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Thanks a ton Lucas. I now have an outline where to go. We loved murren so much that we might include a day or two in this trip as well😊. Will have to focus on 2-3 places only as we don't want to change hotels frequently. Thanks again.

Pallavi

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019