What to wear in August to Jungfraujoch

What to wear in August to Jungfraujoch

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Aylaclan
Aylaclan
21 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 12:42 PM

Can you please tell me- what is the appropriate clothing to wear to Junfrauloch in August? Do I need a down jacket? Does the facility rent warm clothes? Coming from the US and really dont have a lot of packing room for winter gear. This forum is amazing! All of the replies are SO helpful so thank you!

Best,

Susan

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Jun 16, 2018 - 4:47 PM in reply to Aylaclan

Hi Susan,

The weather at the top is generally around 5 degrees...maybe 0-10 on average in the summer. So not terribly cold. Just be sure to wear layers and a wind breaker or warmish coat.

Aylaclan
Aylaclan
21 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 9:56 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Thanks. Are you talking about degrees in celcius?

Susan

xed
xed
4 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 11:32 PM

yes he is. Switzerland uses Celsius.

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Jun 17, 2018 - 6:03 AM in reply to Aylaclan

Yup! :)

Once you are out of the States everything will be in Celsius. Bonus is that 5 degrees Celsius is much warmer than Fahrenheit. :)

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
194 posts
Jun 17, 2018 - 11:25 PM

Hi Aylaclan.

A down jacket is probably not needed. I usually just wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, fibre pile vest and my rain jacket. Inside the Ice Palace the temperature will be below freezing. Outside on the plateau the perceived temp will depend on the wind, so if you can keep the wind out, you'll be OK.

If you are having trouble converting Celsius to Farenheit, just add 15 and double, so 0 Celsius becomes 30 Fahrenheit. Not exact, but close enough.

Also, make sure you have sunscreen on if the weather is sunny. The combination of snow and altitude really increases the amount of UV radiation you will be exposed to and you will get sunburnt quite quickly. Watch out on slightly overcast days as well. Thin clouds don't offer much protection from the sun.

Have fun!

Alan

Aylaclan
Aylaclan
21 posts
Jun 18, 2018 - 12:53 PM in reply to Lucas

Gotcha, thanks Lucas! Any advise on what footwear is appropriate for the Schiltorn and other trails? Some sites say to wear legitimate hiking boots, others say its not neccessary. Normally, I wear sneakers.

Thanks for the suncreen tip Alan:)

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Jun 18, 2018 - 5:21 PM in reply to Aylaclan

I would say some short trails are fine with sneakers if you don't go out too far. If you are planning on spending a couple hours wandering around / hiking then I'd wear hiking shoes at least.

Aylaclan
Aylaclan
21 posts
Jun 18, 2018 - 7:32 PM in reply to Lucas

Great, thanks:)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018