When is a good time to book hotels for August?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 3:02:07 #809232

Hi,

I am reaching Zurich Airport on Aug 27th morning and returning on Sept 4th. I am planning on keeping my bases primarily at Interlaken and Lucerne (tentatively 4 nights each), my question , when is a good time to make hotel reservation ? Is it too early for Aug end travel ? What is the latest I should make the booking to get best bargains ?

Thanks Chandra

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 5:46:35 #852186

Hi Chandra,

It is definitely not too early to book as you’ll be traveling in high season. Quite some rooms will have been booked already, although I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding hotels if you start booking now. There’s no risk in booking if you make sure you can cancel. I usually check rates on http://www.hotelscombined.com. They mostly allow free cancellation until the arrival day, but do check for exceptions before you book. Please see here for suggested hotels:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 2:39:59 #852187

Thank you Arno for the tips and for the hotels information

i just need to finalize my itinery, then will book the hotel.

Though some of the hotels showing I can cancel , bu t I see 20 or 30 CHF being charged ?

Is it true ? Are there any hotesl which does not charge anything for the booking as you mentioned your post earlier ?

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:03:07 #852188

Hi Chandra,

Many hotels allow free cancellation, either until the day of arrival or until a specified date. Exceptions may apply to special offers. I tend to use these special offers anyway, as I have a travel insurance which covers cancellations for medical reasons too.

Once your itinerary is final, and you still can’t find any hotels that suit your needs, please post all your requirements (see here) so we can help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 23:21:01 #852189

Thank you Arno for your kind gesture, appreciated very much

I will provide my requirements along with itinery

Chandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 22:25:03 #852190

Hi Arno, I posted my itinerary in the miscellaneous forum, would appreciate your comments there , once I hear back from you, I can update here about my hotel choice Thanks Chandra

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2016 at 23:26:15 #852191

I completed my 3 nights hotel reservation for Lucerne at Ameron near the lake/train station….that leaves just the Zurich for the last night Thanks again for the tips….Chandra

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 June 2016 at 8:56:39 #852192

Hi Chandra,

Did you check the Zurich page and Zurich airport page to see whether those suggested hotels suit your needs? If not, please post your budget, your dates in Zurich and number of travelers. Thanks!

• The thread ‘When is a good time to book hotels for August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.